case question

xKRAYOLAx

Baseband Member
i just bought an old computer from ebay to put linux on, but the case is bleh, so i thought i should get a new case and a cold cathode, led fan etc etc... now heres the question: i found this uber cool case at a store near my home, but its a tower. the computer I bought is a desktop. can i put the desktop pc into the tower case? just wanted to know before i buy.

k thanks, i was worrying about that the whole day... the hardware 4 that computer is garbage tho, so i guess i gotta spend a lil money upgrading that too... lol its a p3 450 mhz with 64 mb ram and a 10 gig hd. good nuff 4 mandrake tho so woop woop.

just make sure your motherboard is ATX compatible. ATX is the current standard by which all motherboard makers follow in order for the connection types (ps/2, parallel, usb, etc.) to match and fit in ATX compatible computer cases. Plus, the psu connector types of your new case need to match as well, or psu from your old case needs to fit / be compatible.

hmm guess i shud hav asked that b4 buying it... i dont know whether or not its atx compatible, how can you tell and if it isnt, can i still fit the computer in the case? and 4 the psu connections, could i modify the case to make it so they will match?

guess you'll find out once you start your project.

Odds are your new case is ATX ... pretty much anything new today is. Look on the back of your old pc, at the "layout" of all your peripheral connections ... ps/2 (mouse, keyboard) parallel (printer) usb, etc ... if they are spread out over the entire backside of the old pc rather than in a 2"x6" rectangle (a guesstimate), odds are its not going to work.

If you know the brand/model of motherboard you're transferring ... that would go a long way with figuring out if it will work or not.

ok i dont no how to put a picture here so i'll describe it :D:D:D

(height,length)

the pci slots are containted in a little 5x4 rectangle.
the serials ports and printer ports are in a lil 2x5 rectangle
the ethernet and mouse keyboard ports are in a lil 1x5 rectangle

(note im assuming)

Back
Top Bottom