Career change into IT

Honeybee1999

Beta member
Hello everyone. I've been a lurker for a while and decided to jump in to ask a few questions.

I am interested in changing careers to the IT field. However, I'm not sure what specific area I am most interested in. I can see myself as possibly a system administrator at some point in the future, but I know I need to work my way up to that. I briefly (for a year) worked as an in-house help desk technician for a private company installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting their PCs under supervision of their IT manager. They sent me to a couple of one-day training classes for basic networking, hardware, etc. I transferred into that job from being a filing clerk, and they weren't actively recruiting for it as an open position, so I didn't have to really sell myself as a computer whiz to get it. But that was over 12 years ago and the IT world is almost unrecognizable from those days.

From that point, 9/11 happened and I realized how fleeting life can be, so I made the idealistic choice of pursuing my passion, and left that job to earn a BS degree in Animal Science. Then my particular branch of Animal Science was hit hard by the economic downturn (my specialization is the equine industry, and horses are a luxury that many can't afford in the best of times...even more so now).

So now I find myself cycling back around to thinking of a career in IT again. It is a steadily growing career field and pay is still decent. It seems like competition for jobs is pretty high now, though.

So my questions are these: Seeing as I already have a BS, would it be most beneficial for me to go back to school to earn a second BS in Computer Science? Or how about a BS in Information Technology? Or would I be better off starting up the certification ladder, starting with A+ and working up from there? From what I've seen online, most non-entry level jobs require a BS in Computer Science, and I can understand that as it is important to know the theories behind it all. But if I don't necessarily have to go back through school for another degree (and add more debt), then I would like to avoid that. But if I do need that degree to get anywhere past entry-level, then I am willing to go that route eventually.

Also, I enjoy science and technology and problem solving, but math has never been my strongest subject. I believe I have a mild form of dyscalculia, but I haven't been diagnosed. How crippling would that be to a career in IT? I understand computer science is heavily math-based. I can do math, I am just slower at it than most. I passed my college algebra and statistics classes with Bs. Am I setting myself up for a life of frustration by even considering a career in IT? Or are there career options within IT that are light on the math? In that case, would a degree in Information Technology rather than Computer Science be a better fit?

I know, so many questions. I have been saving these up for a while, and the time is coming for me to make a decision on my future career plans. Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can give me. :)

-Melissa

Unless you wish to get into programming, I doubt going back to school for a degree in Computer Science would be very beneficial for you.

For the bulk of IT jobs, many employers desire someone with a 4-yr degree but the field of study of the degree isn't all that important. For instance, I have a degree in Management but have worked as a programmer/software engineer for more than 25 years.

I would recommend some certifications or taking some classes in networking at a local jr college to help get your foot in the door. I don't think your slowness in math will be a hindrance unless you plan to get into programming and even then it shouldn't be a problem unless you do some sepcific types of programming such as graphics, simulations, gaming, etc...

You don't need a tech degree and you don't need to be good at math. Already having a BS is good, and being good at math doesn't help in every field. Would a BS in IT/CS be better? Sure, but not enough to be worth the time and money spent going back to school. For the most part, employers are looking for experience and ability. I would work on some entry level certifications like A+, Network+ and some Windows client certs. If you're starting from the bottom then certs will make you a more attractive candidate over someone who has equal experience but no certs.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of competition for jobs in the industry. Unless you have contacts, a lot of luck, or more experience than you've already mentioned, I don't think you'll be able to start above entry level. Finding something entry level will already be tough enough as it is - these days even a lot of help desk positions are asking for people with experience.

Seeing as I already have a BS, would it be most beneficial for me to go back to school to earn a second BS in Computer Science?
No. A CS degree is theoretical and far removed from IT. As mentioned previously, it's more applicable to programming. Even if you wanted to pursue computer science, some schools offer master's degrees that are essentially "retraining" degrees -- that is, the only requirement for admission is a BS in some field. However, just having a BS is enough.

Or how about a BS in Information Technology? Or would I be better off starting up the certification ladder, starting with A+ and working up from there?
Based on your stated goals, certifications would be more beneficial to you.

...math has never been my strongest subject...How crippling would that be to a career in IT? ...Am I setting myself up for a life of frustration by even considering a career in IT? Or are there career options within IT that are light on the math?
Generally, basic arithmetic is all you need.

would a degree in Information Technology rather than Computer Science be a better fit?
Yes, but you don't need to pursue an additional degree.

I personally would NOT go back to school. I think it's very important to get a degree, IMO it really doesn't matter what field. I know that sounds weird, but in my experience most employers look to verify you HAVE a degree. Yes the field you are applying for helps - but more importantly having that Bachelors degree on your resume is above all else.

I originally was getting my BS in IT, but switched to HR and got my BS in Human Resources. Now i'm back in IT as a career. I've never had anyone question why i didn't get an IT degree and in large part i believe it's helped me future my career by having something other than IT (because it's hard to find IT people that have people skills - something that my HR degree helped me develop).

So if i were you i'd focus on Certifications. Get your A+ and Net+ (both easy), then go for a more specific certification like CCNA (very hard) or Server certification like Server 2012 (hard).

As for the math, it's not required and in most cases you have other tools (a calculator) at your disposal. I will say to do some System Administration a decent amount of math has to be involved when forecasting server usage, developing and planning your infrastructure environment, ect. One wrong calculation on your end can mean the difference between your company spending millions of dollars on unneeded equipment, or your company not purchasing enough equipment and your infrastructure struggling because of it. So no, it's not a requirement but you will need to know math.

I will say, steer clear of networking if you don't like math, lots of math involved with calculating subnets and the like. Yes they have subnet calculators but nothing like being in a board room with a bunch of owners pitching your multi-million dollar proposal and someone ask you something like "how much would it cost to expand our company to a neighboring city if we only had 20 people at that location." Or how much time would it take to expand our office to the 20th floor and support 50 people. These instances are where math comes in a great deal. You can't say 'let me get my calculator out' you have to think on the fly.

A page from Steve Ballmer.

CERTIFICATIONS...CERTIFICATIONS...CERTIFICATIONS...CERTIFICATIONS...CERTIFICATIONS...CERTIFICATIONS...CERTIFICATIONS...CERTIFICATIONS

MICROSOFT CERTIFICATIONS...MICROSOFT CERTIFICATIONS...MICROSOFT CERTIFICATIONS...MICROSOFT CERTIFICATIONS...MICROSOFT CERTIFICATIONS...MICROSOFT CERTIFICATIONS...MICROSOFT CERTIFICATIONS...MICROSOFT CERTIFICATIONS...

Back
Top Bottom