Career Advice and Certifications

Novella1st

Beta member
I could use some advice regarding my IT career path. Here's the background:

I've been at my current job for over 7 years now, and while I love the job the income is not enough to support my family. The job is basically outsourced IT for small businesses (read 10 – 50 users) so I have a lot of experience with installing, configuring and supporting Microsoft servers, networks and workstations and all that entails. What I don't have much experience with is anything regarding Cisco, Linux or server cluster configurations.

I originally got into IT because I seemed to have a knack for it and enjoyed working on computers. However, I've never had a mentor or received much advice regarding long-term career paths so I really don't even know my options. I figure network administration is probably the logical fit for my current skill set, although I welcome any suggestions. I'm looking for something that will offer more than 55k/year and what certifications I should be focusing on to make that possible. I just recently updated my MCSA from server 2003 to server 2012 and am currently working on getting CCENT. Please let me know if I'm on the right track and what I should be keeping an eye out for.

Sounds to me like you are on the right path. With an MCSA in server 2012 and 7 years experience i'm not really sure why you aren't making more than 55k (not sure where you live).

Perhaps the experience you've gotten is too generic? Or too specific?

I would look into VMware certifications. While it sounds like you want to go the networking route, a VCP can net you a good amount of money and the way things are going in the industry, vmware is here to stay.

Back
Top Bottom