car troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzimm86

In Runtime
It all started the day after i got my oil changed at one of those shitty quick lubies. My car idles at less than 1000 rpm's, prob some where around 500 and sounds like it is going to clonk out at any moment. When i drive it, i can not get above 60 mph and acceleration is terrible. The check engine light is on as well. At times it just stays on solid and other times it flashes but never goes off completely. I thought that maybe it was a clogged catalytic converter so yesterday i put a new one on and that did not help at all. A coworker told me that it might be the egr valve but i cant find any thing on this for my car. I have a 2001 Hyundia Tiburon. It is a 4-Cyl. 2.0 Liter.

to my knowledge it has never been changed i have owned the car since 20000 miles and it is currently at 80,000. Hyundia suggests changing it at 60,000 so that is a very good possibility.

Is that hard to change?

From what i have recently found, it sounds like if it were the timing belt i would not be able to drive my car. My car can still be driven but with lack of power.

They can be driven, depending on how bad it is. There was one in the garage I did work experience at, where it sounded like a diesel when they drove it onto the ramp.

There are some very knowledgable car people on the OcUK forums. You may want to post there.

Take it back to the palce that did the oil change and say they did something to it.

Could be fuel delivery as well. That most likely means a bad fuel filter. Could also mean bad fuel pump as well, but less likely.

If it is the timing belt, it would mean that it has jumped time. If the baelt was broken, you wouldn't be driving it, period.

Fuel filter could be a possiblity. And it is a rather easy and inexpensive part. I doubt it would be the fuel pump, or it wouldn't run.

The check engine light is what bothers me. Either go to a garage and have them run a diagostic check, or rent/borrow a checker yourself. If you have the manual for the car, you can probably rig a jumper so that the car can tell you what the problem is (as far as the light goes). Check the manual to see where to put the jumper, and what the codes are.

sounds like one of the spark plugs isn't in all the way or the wire is pulled out at that distributor so you're not running on all 4 cylinders. this is based on the low idle, lack of power, and sudden appearance of the problem.

if that's not the problem, just have some place pull the codes. whenever your check engine light is on, it creates a code that tells you what's wrong. a dealership can do this, but you can probably find somewhere cheaper to do it. the problem also sounds like both O2 sensors could be shot.

sounds like one of the spark plugs isn't in all the way or the wire is pulled out at that distributor so you're not running on all 4 cylinders. this is based on the low idle, lack of power, and sudden appearance of the problem

Yeah, but it would be running rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom