Car question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiboy700

Fully Optimized
I have a 1997 Oldsmobile Aurora with 150k miles on the body, 100k on the engine, and 7k on the transmission but the transmission blew. The transmission is 2 months old and has 7 thousand miles on it and it wont go into any gear and the check engine light is on. I had a cv joint repaired and it locked up while doing 60, dragging one of the driving tires. Also the new cv joint leaked most of the transmission fluid out as I rushed home and then might have tried to been moved with no tranny fluid. After that trying to get the car out of the snow, the tranny went but not until I parked it and came back 20 minutes to move it and as soon as I backed it out of the spot and tried to put it in drive, the car wouldnt move and the ses light came on.

Also my mechanic puts ****ty 5w-30 dino oil and it gets changed every 3 thousand miles. Whats a good oil to get and are there any performance mods for the northstar. Any tuning for the 4t80e? Ive got a custom catback exhaust with a summit turbo muffler and twin exhaust.

I figured since I was well into this site for a few years and I am into cars, I can only assume some the members did the same. :)

If you knew one thing, a CV joint contains no transmission fluid, thus it can not leak transmission fluid. It is possible the differential, was leaking gear lube, or you blew the boot on the CV joint thus causing red grease to spin out at high speeds.

Lets do some basics, one, what color is the transmission fluid? It should be a red fluid fresh, or have some darkening. If it is brown, or black, the fluid is shot, also, look closely at the fluid and inspect it for anything metalic, that will usualy indicate damaged clutchs, also, pieces of rubber like material will indicate the clutchs are burned out.

Also, oil is oil my friend, as long as you use a quality filter, and proper weight, and change intervals, you will be fine, there is almost no gain on an engine at that mileage.

I use Pennzoil 5w30 full synthetic. Be cautioned, changing to a synthetic may show a leak, don't be alarmed, the leak was already there at one point, but synthetic oils have a habbit of actualy making it through that leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom