car diagnostic installation problems

chrisf-1

Baseband Member
hi everyone i am new to the forum and no great expert on computers so please forgive me if i seem slow or thick i have a laptop which i am trying to install car diagnostic programs on for our 2 cars mine being a 2000 BMW and the wife's being a 1996 ford galaxy both of which i have bought diagnostic software and connectors for (eBay) my main problem is that diagnostic cables connect through a serial port which my laptop does not have so i have also purchased a card with a serial port adapter following instructions i am told to go device manager to set com port which should be accessible in ports in device manager but it is not there can anyone advise me in layman's terms how to set the com ports the laptop is an advent running windows xp and the programs are BMW carsoft 6.5 and vag-com for the galaxy any help greatly appreciated as i have now purchased 3 items none of which i can use many thanks chris

hi the laptop is an advent 7046 and the card is a pmcia rs232 i think thats right which slots into the side with a 9pin connector outside i appreciate you taking the trouble to help thanks chris

Also, please supply the model and serial number as well as what type of PMCIA the adapter is. It should say on the box whether it is type I type II or type III. Also, please, who the PMCIA card is made by. These will all help me determine where to link you as to get the drivers necessary for the device.

laptop serial no is914d01uk340707011k000 and this is the ebay item no for the card 230330279289 pcmcia rs232 rs-232 notebook serial l/0 pc card n19 thanks chris

Back
Top Bottom