Can't view HTML files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevenor

In Runtime
Hi all,

Hope some of you experts out there can give me a helping hand on this. I used to be able to view HTML files but today while trying to view one sent to me via Yahoo! Mail, I encountered difficulties. It just refused to run. All I get is just a blank page. Whereas the same HTML file (which I had it transferred to my thumb drive) can be viewed on another pc with no problem at all.

At first, I thought the reason could be becos I didn't not have Macromedia Flash Player installed on my pc. But after checking it under "Add or Remove Programs", I noticed it's installed cos it's listed there.

My pc had Google Toolbar installed and since I read in another thread that ICQ Toolbar was the cause of the same problem. I thought I better had Google Toolbar uninstalled to see if it works for me. But it didn't.

I guess I must have altered the setting somewhere and had resulted this problem. I tried looking into
Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced but to no avail also.

Therefore, I would appreciate very much if any one of you could kindly offer your advice.

Thank you in advance!

daappleby said:
hmm that seems very odd indeed...what browser are you using?

I'm using Internet Explorer. OS is Windows XP Professional and
Email client is Yahoo! Mail. Any idea?

p.s. While I said I had looked into Tools -> Internet Options ->
Advanced section, I may not have enabled or disabled the
settings there correctly. So pls do not rule out the probable
error in settings there. Thx!

I've just scanned my pc with Ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy. The former detected 3 objects which I removed subsequently. The latter detected none.

I then tried and viewed the HTML file that I have (which can be viewed using another pc with no problem). Still couldn't.:mad:

Really? interesting. I am going to suggest a new browser, however i can't just do that and not try and help you with IE. So here goes nothing!

i suggest re installing IE.
Start -> control panel -> add/remove programs -> Windows components ->uncheck IE and hit OK
Shake and Repeat this, but CHECK IE. (maybe not shake...)

You can also try fx or opera.
-blitze

Blitze105 said:
Really? interesting. I am going to suggest a new browser, however i can't just do that and not try and help you with IE. So here goes nothing!

i suggest re installing IE.
Start -> control panel -> add/remove programs -> Windows components ->uncheck IE and hit OK
Shake and Repeat this, but CHECK IE. (maybe not shake...)

You can also try fx or opera.
-blitze

Thx Blitze 105 for the effort.
Unfortunately, it still doesn't work even though I've done what you suggested twice, ie [Uncheck IE then reboot pc. Next check IE and reboot. Then try opening HTML file] X twice.

Thx anyway!

powerslave12 said:
ie sucks...get mozilla firefox

here- www.getfirefox.com

Been using IE for years and sort of used to it already.
So far so good though I read that Firefox is better but
hate to have to re-learn again unless I have no choice.

Sevenor said:
I used to be able to view HTML files
Sounds like it may be a problem with file associations, check in folder options for htm, html, HTM, HTML and shtml and see if IE is still associated. If not, create.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom