Can't print to a network printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott F

Beta member
I just bought a Dell laptop (Windows XP) and connected to to my home (ethernet) network. I can get to the internet, and my other computers (Macs) see the laptop, but the laptop will not print to any of the 3 laser printers. It prints fine to a USB connected ink jet, but even if I plug the printer directly into the ethernet port I get a printing error message. I have done everything that the setup wizards suggest, installed new drivers, re configured the ports etc. but nothing works. I'm also running Virtual PC with Windows XP on a Mac G4 that also will not print to the networked printers. The same Mac prints to the printers just fine with the Mac OS. Can anybody help?

What is the error message you receive when trying to print? Is the printer shared? Or do you have a print server configured that manage the network printers?

Printer Problems

The error message says the document failed to print. I'm not using a server, I have a router & hub that all the computers & printers use. I've tried plugging the ethernet cable directly from the laptop into the printer with no luck. I did find some info on the Microsoft web site, but I have no idea what they are talking about. One suggestion was to type in the IP address of the printer but I don't know how to find it.

What type of printer is it? If its an HP, there IS a way to look on the printer for its IP address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom