Can't locate files :|

Grantofhell

Fully Optimized
I can't seem to locate Boot.ini, NTldr, and NTdetect. I know I have them because the system boots, lol.

I've allowed the viewing on hidden system files, and protected OS files. My understanding is that these files are located in the Root directory of my primary operating system. I've looked in C and still can't find them.

Thanks in advance.

Start>Search>all files and folder>*insert text*>enter

Always works when looking for a file for me

Tried that, too. But I'll give it another shot. I have search 4.0 so all of my files are indexed. It probably has filters that don't allow searching for files that may compromise the system.

If you're set to view protected operating system files, yes you should be able to see them on the root partition of your windows install. If they weren't there (you might get away with boot.ini but not the others) then windows would complain rather loudly!

If you launch a command prompt window (start => run => cmd) and navigate to C:\, then type "boot.ini" what happens?

If you're still having trouble and it's bugging you, you could always boot a linux live cd such as knoppix, mount the partition there and then use linux to search through it - it won't have any of the filters that windows might have :)

I'm just interested in finding the files for copying to a flash drive. I'm making a bootable XP64 2Gb stick. Sort of like a LIVE windows CD except I can install programs and make preference changes on this.

I'll try looking on my other computers to see if the files will appear where they should on those computers.

I'm just interested in finding the files for copying to a flash drive. I'm making a bootable XP64 2Gb stick. Sort of like a LIVE windows CD except I can install programs and make preference changes on this.

I'll try looking on my other computers to see if the files will appear where they should on those computers.

Let me know if you need any help with XP on a thumb drive. I sucessfuly did it with NT 4.0 on a 1GB seamlessly

Aren't those files in the boot sector of the HDD thus not visible in the C drive? I could be off, just a thought though.

Back
Top Bottom