Can't install Windows XP on a new hard drive

PizzaDestroyer

Beta member
Hi guys. This is my first post here on Tech Forums. Here is my problem: Besides my other PC,I have an older one which I haven't used for a while and I wanted to tweak it. Since it's hard drive died,I wanted to put in a spare one I had,namely Western Digital (200 GB IDE,the dead one was a Maxtor SATA {150 GB}). The BIOS (Phoenix/Award) detected it and everything was fine... Until I started installing Windows. I have 2 original CDs of Windows XP. When I tried installing it with the first CD it went ok until it got stuck at "approximately 25 minutes remaining" part. Then I tried installing it with the other CD and it installed it completely but it got stuck at "Applying Computer Settings" part. I restarted the computer but nothing was there. In the end I tried installing it from USB,but I couldn't make it with that either. I tried disabling the LAN card and other unnecesarry components - no luck. So,can anyone here tell what is the problem with my PC?

First of all, welcome to Tech Forum, second, why the hell do you want XP? lol.
Third.. first check you got the min requirements::
The minimum hardware requirements for Windows XP Home Edition are:
Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)
At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk
Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse or some other compatible pointing device
Video adapter and monitor with Super VGA (800 x 600)or higher resolution
Sound card

Does your computer freeze when installing or is it just showing its installing still with no progress?

And, did you create the USB with the windows XP CDs? if so id suggest DL a different copy from the internet and try it on USB.

Last edited:
Hi guys. This is my first post here on Tech Forums. Here is my problem: Besides my other PC,I have an older one which I haven't used for a while and I wanted to tweak it. Since it's hard drive died,I wanted to put in a spare one I had,namely Western Digital (200 GB IDE,the dead one was a Maxtor SATA {150 GB}). The BIOS (Phoenix/Award) detected it and everything was fine... Until I started installing Windows. I have 2 original CDs of Windows XP. When I tried installing it with the first CD it went ok until it got stuck at "approximately 25 minutes remaining" part. Then I tried installing it with the other CD and it installed it completely but it got stuck at "Applying Computer Settings" part. I restarted the computer but nothing was there. In the end I tried installing it from USB,but I couldn't make it with that either. I tried disabling the LAN card and other unnecesarry components - no luck. So,can anyone here tell what is the problem with my PC?

Tell me what the serial number is on the western digital drive.
Also what type of cd/dvd drive do you have, the model number and make ?
Do you have any marks on the cd, if so that would prevent windows xp from reading the disc correctly.

First of all, welcome to Tech Forum, second, why the hell do you want XP? lol.
Third.. first check you got the min requirements::
The minimum hardware requirements for Windows XP Home Edition are:
Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)
At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk
Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse or some other compatible pointing device
Video adapter and monitor with Super VGA (800 x 600)or higher resolution
Sound card

Does your computer freeze when installing or is it just showing its installing still with no progress?

And, did you create the USB with the windows XP CDs? if so id suggest DL a different copy from the internet and try it on USB.

Well,as I said it's an older computer,so installing anything after Windows Vista would be fruitless. And yes,the computer can support XP - it has all the requirements. About freezing during setup: It froze only when I tried installing it with the first disc,the second one installed it (the setup was really slow) but I couldn't access the start screen and the screen was completely black. I downloaded the new version of Windows from the internet and I put it on the USB,and when I tried to start the second part of the setup it said that hal32.dll was missing.

Well,as I said it's an older computer,so installing anything after Windows Vista would be fruitless.

Only true if you limit yourself to windows

If you plan on using the XP machine on the net I would stongly advise against it. Get a *nix distro like ubuntu. Its free and and you can keep the old machine in operation while maintaining speed and security.

Tell me what the serial number is on the western digital drive.
Also what type of cd/dvd drive do you have, the model number and make ?
Do you have any marks on the cd, if so that would prevent windows xp from reading the disc correctly.

The hard drive model is WD2000JB-00GVA0 and the DVD drive model is Sony DVD RW AW-G1. Only one cd had one little scratch but the other one is intact.

The hard drive model is WD2000JB-00GVA0 and the DVD drive model is Sony DVD RW AW-G1. Only one cd had one little scratch but the other one is intact.

Check into this for your dvd drive it has some issues so a firmware update would be good for it to read and burn your cd's-dvd's.

Problem with sony dvd rw aw-g170a - Fixya
Also if thats not optional you'll need to buy a new windows xp disk.
If its a retail disc with retail key you get a retail cd.
If its oem same as above, check amazon and ebay.
Just curious what kind of pc do you have ?
CPU. mobo, custom or manufacturer built pc ?
Without that I won't know what I'm really dealing with if this takes awhile to fix.

Back
Top Bottom