Can't Install Windows 10 Updates - Tried Everything

Azam.biz

Baseband Member
Due to endless problems with Windows 10, I did a fresh install of it several weeks ago. It has wasted over 200 hours of my time since then having to reinstall and reconfigure everything again on my computer.

Since then, I am unable to update Windows.

The version of Windows I have now is 2004.

In 'Windows Update' I see a red color error message stating: "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes."

"There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x800703f1)"

The error message I see every day in 'View update history is the following:

"Failed to install on ‎2/‎11/‎2020 - 0x800703f1"

For instance, I get this for Cumulative Update KB4579311

I have tried all the solutions offered here on these forums and on Microsoft's website. For instance, I have tried the Windows Troubleshooters. They are most useless tools in the history of computing and a Windows Troubleshooter has never resolved a single problem I have EVER had with my computer over the last several years - a 100% failure rate - but I still tried... and it was a waste of time as always.

I've tried SFC Scan and DISM tool - neither works on my computer.

I turned off all virus and malware checkers - no change.

I've also tried the following solution suggested in several places on Microsoft Answers - also didn't work:

"Open administrative Command Prompt and type following commands one-by-one followed by Enter key.

net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver"

There are so many features in Windows that don't work now. The list would be a mile long if I were to list them, but, for instance, Cortana doesn't work despite me spending hours trying all suggested solutions and there are major issues with Windows Explorer too etc. etc. I'm hoping the updates might resolve even a small number of these problems.

Please can you suggest what I could do to be able to update Windows?

I can't reinstall Windows again from scratch and then spend weeks reinstalling and reconfiguring my programs.

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your help.

over 200 hours of my time
Sorry, I find this hard to believe. Even if you had a spinner hard drive, a slow internet connection, and a computer from 2006 I don't see anybody needing over 8 days to fully install and configure everything. It takes me 48 hours tops to reconfigure my entire server rack (multiple servers, network cluster, etc) from scratch. If you're including going to work/school then coming home and tinkering with it for a bit that's not really factual to say 200 hours.

In any case, if you're having all these issues something got botched in the initial setup/install of Windows. You have 3 options:

1 - format and do it over. Make sure all stuff works properly then configure.
2 - Try to use the update assistant to manually force the new update to come down.
3 - Use WSUS Offline to manually pull down updates and try to work around that.

If it was a case of Windows Updates not working, then it could simply be the update cache or something along those lines that got corrupted. If multiple features simply don't work then the OS install got corrupted. This could be from anything you might have installed, an instability of hardware during Windows install, or something as dumb as a boot partition. Without specific details it's impossible to pinpoint and why Google searches are coming up empty for you.

I can confirm that the 2006 PC / laptop with Windows 10 x64 Pro 2004 20H2 version 19042.610 also works perfectly.
Of course, it's hard to switch CPU, RAM and graphics there, but for example, I have the 2006 Asus T12Fg, which is perfectly usable, albeit a bit slow, but it can be used.
  1. If you want any help, start by talking about what kind of computer it is (as accurately as possible, ie CPU, GPU, graphics, motherboard, etc.).
  2. Then talk about the problem you have - exactly and concisely.
  3. Then ask a question about your problem.
Right now, it's like you're writing a short story or a novel, but no one understands what you really want.
We have nothing to do with this when we know that it takes someone 200 hours to upgrade and there is still no result.
  • So - what computer You have and what problem do you have.
PS. But based on all this long story, might think that if your computer is really working, you will have unfinished (pending) installations. It would be necessary to complete and end installing processes of all previous ones before starting a new installation. When it comes to installing updates, it is absolutely necessary to restart to complete certain processes. And if the previous processes are not completed, you cannot start new ones.

Last edited:
Due to endless problems with Windows 10, I did a fresh install of it several weeks ago. It has wasted over 200 hours of my time since then having to reinstall and reconfigure everything again on my computer.

Since then, I am unable to update Windows.

The version of Windows I have now is 2004.

In 'Windows Update' I see a red color error message stating: "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes."

"There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x800703f1)"

The error message I see every day in 'View update history is the following:

"Failed to install on ‎2/‎11/‎2020 - 0x800703f1"

For instance, I get this for Cumulative Update KB4579311

I have tried all the solutions offered here on these forums and on Microsoft's website. For instance, I have tried the Windows Troubleshooters. They are most useless tools in the history of computing and a Windows Troubleshooter has never resolved a single problem I have EVER had with my computer over the last several years - a 100% failure rate - but I still tried... and it was a waste of time as always.

I've tried SFC Scan and DISM tool - neither works on my computer.

I turned off all virus and malware checkers - no change.

I've also tried the following solution suggested in several places on Microsoft Answers - also didn't work:

"Open administrative Command Prompt and type following commands one-by-one followed by Enter key.

net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver"

There are so many features in Windows that don't work now. The list would be a mile long if I were to list them, but, for instance, Cortana doesn't work despite me spending hours trying all suggested solutions and there are major issues with Windows Explorer too etc. etc. I'm hoping the updates might resolve even a small number of these problems.

Please can you suggest what I could do to be able to update Windows?

I can't reinstall Windows again from scratch and then spend weeks reinstalling and reconfiguring my programs.

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your help.
I will give the best solution to update windows 10. it worked for me.
1. just go to Google and search for Win 10 22h2 iso Download
2. And download the official application from Microsoft.
3. install the Application and start to download windows 10 22h2 from that application.
4. it will take 3 steps to download the software, and it takes approximately 2 to 3 hours to download depending upon your system performance.
5. and it completes the download it Automatically installs the software.
6. Next go to check for updates there u can see it's up to date.

Back
Top Bottom