Can't install flash drive on 2000

chat14101

Solid State Member
The laptops at my school are running Windows 2000. Being the sys admin's assistant, I set up the golden machine for one mobile lab (which we then imaged to the rest). I have an administrative log in on the domain, as well as knowledge of the local administrator passwords (if the remedy required a local account). When plugging in a thumb drive while logged into the student account, Windows attempts to install the drive but errors with the "You do not have sufficient privileges to install a device on this computer" message. I've disabled all group policies, told Windows to ignore and install unsigned drivers. "Everyone" has full control to USBSTOR.sys. All that the startupapi.log (I forgot if that's the exact name) reports is that the driver isn't signed according to the "CLASSCERT.inf" file. If you would like the complete log regarding the install, I'll obtain it. In group policies (after re-enabling them of course) I configured the user settings and machine settings to elevate install privileges (and I checked the check box in both) and then restarted the computer, didn't work. It obviously seems to be a permissions issue, so what files/directories must I play with the security settings for?

Back
Top Bottom