Can't figure out my new modem\access point setup

photoguy

Beta member
I had been using a single LAN cable modem and wireless router (as DHCP server) for several years. My wireless router IP has always been 192.168.0.1. I recently upgraded to a 4-LAN cable modem, and it surprisingly "took over" that IP address and assigned the wireless router to be 192.168.1.1. So now I have some devices connected to the LAN ports of the modem and some connected to the wireless router (both physical LAN ports and wireless) This created a new problem of having 2 subnets and couldn't access any devices between the two, but I could access the the cable modem admin page (192.168.0.1) and the wireless router admin page (192.168.1.1) from within each network.

To resolve, I switched my wireless router from router mode to wireless access point mode (no DHCP server, etc). Now, everything is on the same subnet (192.168.0.x) and the IP addresses are all being generated from the cable modem....BUT I can't access the admin page of either the cable modem or wireless router. 192.168.0.1 doesn't bring up the admin page of the modem anymore like it used to.

Question: How do I now access the admin pages of the cable modem and wireless router (access point) ?

Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
So you have both devices plugged in to each other...or what's your setup?

Are both devices a modem/router combo? If that's the case... you only need 1 of those on your network.

It's one modem and one router. The wireless router is plugged into one of the 4 LAN ports on the modem. The modem is not wireless so I'm using the wireless access point to assign wireless IP addresses to my network. Everything is working as it should as far as network and internet....I just don't know how to access the darn admin page of the modem or router anymore to changes settings. Any ideas ? Or could you suggest a better setup ?

Since 192.168.0.1 is the default gateway for everything, I would think that should still work, but it doesn't :-(

What's the make and model of your modem? I'm willing to bet that it's actually a modem/router combo device if it has multiple LAN ports and it's handing out ip addresses. A normal modem doesn't provide switching or dhcp.

If you used to be able to access the admin pages but now you can't, the most likely reason is either a) the ip addresses have changed, or b) you're trying to access a device that is in bridge mode. If the ip has changed then all you need to do is connect to the device and check your default gateway. If it has been put into bridge mode then you'll need to perform a factory reset to get it out of bridge mode.

Back
Top Bottom