Can't extract .exe files from a .zip file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorp3do

Beta member
Hi

I recently downloaded a file off the net (no it's not corrupt or anything and yes I have downloaded it more that once), and when I try to extract what's in it, it will extract the .txt file, but not the .exe. I've gone into properties and unblocked it and have tried WinZip, WinRAR and 7-zip, but none seem to extract the .exe file. I tried it on another user, and it worked, and so I went back on my user, but as soon as I saw the file it auto-deleted itself. It's extremely annoying. Also, when trying to extract the .exe file by itself, it comes up with ! Cannot execute "C:\Users\filipo\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX01.866\cohtrn.exe"
I also looked around and this has happened to someone else,
http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/ca...player-plays-after-being-closed-vista-194674/
but that thread is closed.

Any ideas on what to do?

Well i would first use CCleaner to clean out your temp files. I would then go through Osiris Guide.

Osiris Spyware Guide

After that i would then try to extract the file.

It sounds like this is being picked up by a virus scanner or something of the like. What is the name of the .exe you are trying to open? Is it the one listed in that temp directory? If so it looks mighty sketchy.

The .exe file is called "cohtrn" - it's just a trainer for Company of Heroes, I've alreday finished the game, just wanna play it with a trainer now.

Almost all trainers are caught by anti-Virus software. Since they basically hack the game to modify it to allow you to play it. So in order for you to be able to extract the file and use it you will have to disable your anti-virus software.

Haha ok, sweet as, should've thought of that before. Yeah, I turned off my anti-virus when extracting it and it's there.

Thanks.

Can always add the file to your AV's exception list and then turn the AV back on (which would be a wiser choice).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom