can't boot, no recovery disc

DC1

Beta member
hi all. I have a small problem: every time I start my pc (OS: Windows 2K pro), it runs through BIOS checks ok - Ie. it recognises all the hardware I have, and gets to the 'windows loading' screen, but crashes and repeats the cycle just when the loading bar gets to the complete stage. I'd like to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows, but I can't get into dos and only have a windows XP disc (I've misplaced the original win2k disc). I'd be heaps appreciated if anyone has any suggestions as it is driving me mad. Maybe need new mobo?

I'm not sure how to go about deleting my partitions, without getting into dos or windows, and I cant get the computer to boot with the xp cd. is there any way to format a hard drive and reinstall a different wondows version (XP rather than 2k pro) without being able to boot the original windows (ie through bios, etc.)?
thanks for your help.
dc

DC said:
I'm not sure how to go about deleting my partitions, without getting into dos or windows, and I cant get the computer to boot with the xp cd. is there any way to format a hard drive and reinstall a different wondows version (XP rather than 2k pro) without being able to boot the original windows (ie through bios, etc.)?
thanks for your help.
dc
I hate to say this,but the PC that got you here works fine.
If you got a new P4 XP system without all the needed cd's and instructions then call the folks you paid for it.
Or read the manuals that came with it.
it's not a simple "do this"
:eek:

Change the bios settings to boot from cd-rom and then once booted into the win xp cd-rom, just keep clicking next until you reach the partitioning screen where you can create and delete partitions. Here you just delete the partitions that contain your data and win2000. Then you create new partitions and install win xp in one of them.

Back
Top Bottom