Cant boot from XP install disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

phandentium

In Runtime
I haved cheked the BIOS on my PC and the CD drive is the first Boot device. But I cannot use the Xp install disk. I have even tried a 95 install disk, that doesnt work either, concluding that the disk isnt damaged. But a linux boot disk does work. When I put in the XP install disk, it just boots to Linux.

I need to find a way to boot to the Xp install disk. Please post a solution.

If you can't boot from your windows xp disk either go to boot disk.com download bootable disk for windows xp. if you have xp home make sure that floppy disk is for xp home if its for xp ppro make sure the floppy disk is for xp pro....

Also make sure that your CD-ROM or CD-RW or DVD-RW drive has the ability to boot OS disks such as 98se Me, 2000, and XP.
I'm guessing that one of your drives can't boot your XP disc.

Well I am going to try and use the boot disk.com thing.

I dont know what is up with the booting problems. But the disks do work on another PC.

PS/ could you give me a link to the download.

Also the main site [url]http://www.bootdisk.com/

this help you out alot.
Try taking the drive out of your machnine and test on another computer and put the XP CD in it and see what will happen. if it works then your BIOS setup drive list needs to be rechecked again to make sure that everythings is setup correctly.
If doesn't work right at all it could possibly be your CD-ROM drive.

last question is your XP CD legal or you have gone on the seven seas of the net and went pirating XP ? just a joke by the way, but pirated XP disc don't boot up without a boot floppy disk.... trust me I know what I'm talking about.:cool:

No, it is legal. But it is not directly from MS. The disk is from Dell, as well as the other disk.

btw, Boot Disk makes you donate. And I have no money, so is there another program or something?

Also, I cant run a startup floppy disk for some reason.

1. Put the floppy disk in your FD
2. Run the setup program that you downloaded from Boot disk
3. It will find the floppy in your FD and make a boot floppy disk for you.
4. Restart your computer with floppy disk in it.
5.make sure your dell XP CD disc is in there.
6.after it reads the floppy disc it will ask you for the CD-ROM drive letter containing XP CD point it to that location.
7.and I hope and pray the dell XP CD installation starts up

I hope all of this helps you out let us know what happens after my post and you tried what I said.

MadMikeXP

Ok, as much as this sounds like I actually pirated Xp I didnt,

I made a new floppy startup disk, and it works, so how do I boot to XP install from that? Btw it is a Windows ME startup disk.

You downloaded the wrong boot disk......:mad:
Download the (XP BOOT DISK) thats the one you need
Once you downloaded the disc follow my last set of directions and once you've done that

it will say please put in the drive letter and press enter.
this an example.... D:\setup and then you press enter.
What ever your drive letter is that you have the dell xp cd put in that letter. if you need help go to my computer and take note which drive has your dell xp cd.

Come back if you have any more questions.

I have tried it, it is the one where it uses 6 floppy disks, right? Well, I tried it and every time there is a file invalid or corrupt.

I dont know what I should do next, is there some way I can use XP install from an ME startup disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom