Can't access partitioned hard drive

Xiaozhu

Solid State Member
A few weeks ago a friend helped me partition a 160GB Western Digital hard drive into two sections, around 120GB for one and 40GB for the other. I already have stuff in the 120GB section, and now I want to put stuff into the 40GB section. When I connect the hard drive with my laptop, it displays three drives, I:, H:, and G:

81mRd.jpg

For some reason it displays I: as having 160GB, and the other two near empty. And I also cannot find any files in I:. When I try to access H: it tells me it has not been formatted, and won't let me see the contents inside. My friend warned me that formatting it will cause me to lose all the stuff I put into the 120GB section.

So where exactly is all my stuff on it? It's not on G: for sure since that drive only displays 203mb, and I know I have around 80GB of stuff on it. And how do I access the 40GB section? My friend went on vacation so I can't ask him.

Thanks~

Looks as though the partition table has possibly become corrupted. Try running chkdsk, it might sort things out.

open my computer. right click the i drive. select "properties". then "tools". then "error checking".
if that doesn't work,format the 40 gb partition. you will not lose the stuff in the 120gb partition. but ideally, i'd make a backup of the 120 to a spare hdd,just incase. how did you get stuff onto the 120gb partition?

Back
Top Bottom