Cannot Login to Windows XP

Kuberr

Daemon Poster
Hi, I'm running Windows XP Professional. I was running Counterspy the other day and it picked up a Backdoor. I quarantined it and rebooted.

Now I can't log into any of my user accounts. If I try to log in, it logs off immediately. I cannot get this to work in safe mode either. What can I do???

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
I was going to say to reboot into Safe Mode, but since that doesn't work--you'll have to do a Windows Repair by using the Windows XP CD.

Kuberr

Daemon Poster
Yeah, I Googled a different group of keywords and found it. I'm testing it now to see if it works.

lhuser

Golden Master
That backdoor sure messed the winlogon.exe file. I'd suggest to run a Windows Preinstallation environement and replace the file from there or manually do it in DOS with the copy:

ex: copy A:\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32

Kuberr

Daemon Poster
I fixed it, and I've never been happier! I've never been so excited to see the Start menu, ever.

I even had to run this old copy of BartPE that I found in my stack of CD's.

And then when it didn't work, I was looking into what backdoor it might have been. I needed to look at the CounterSpy log file, but I couldn't. I navigated back to the Userinit registry key and realized I misspelled Userinit.exe.

I had typed in Userint.exe instead. I changed it, and it worked! :D :D :D