Can you explain this please??? (DNS)

sanderson

Beta member
Ok I am a little confused about this but I don't really know much about DNS yet.

Say I was to host my own DNS server.. what is stopping me assigning any domain name I like (providing its available) with out going though domain registers?

Surely that way I can host for example www.availabledomain.com for free using my own DNS servers and pointing it at my own hosting servers?

:confused: :confused:

Sanserson - That is a great idea, the problem there is that unless you have your DNS server registered, no one will be able to use your service... If I remember correctly registering a DNS server is only like 5 bucks a year if that.... (I could be wrong)... It is always good to make sure more then a couple DNS servers have you on their list as well, otherwise, your hosts won't be able to get reached...

Ok I am a little confused about this but I don't really know much about DNS yet.

Say I was to host my own DNS server.. what is stopping me assigning any domain name I like (providing its available) with out going though domain registers?

Surely that way I can host for example www.availabledomain.com for free using my own DNS servers and pointing it at my own hosting servers?

:confused: :confused:

The DNS record would not be propogated across the internet. Your DNS server may think that domain belongs to you, but nobody elses will. Your server doesnt have the authorioty to spread the record across the internet.

Thank you very much! Its good to know I haven't got completely the wrong Idea about what DNS servers do. :rolleyes:

If I remember correctly registering a DNS server is only like 5 bucks a year if that.... (I could be wrong)... It is always good to make sure more then a couple DNS servers have you on their list as well, otherwise, your hosts won't be able to get reached...

Do you know how can I register one? and how to get listed on other DNS servers aswell as my own, I have a few servers I think they could all run a DNS service... I also have 2 broadband connections (if that helps).

The DNS record would not be propogated across the internet. Your DNS server may think that domain belongs to you, but nobody elses will. Your server doesnt have the authorioty to spread the record across the internet.

How can I gain this authority? Am I correct in thinking it will work for if i register something like wwww.myserver.com to my DNS and then try to vistit that address in my browser I will get taken to the correct address but only if i am accessing it from my network?

Back
Top Bottom