Can USB Drives Die and Can the Data be Restored?!?!?

FredL

Beta member
I've got a USB drive that's been working fine for the last year or two. Then, all of a sudden, it won't load onto my PC. It makes that sound they make when you load them, then a split second later it makes that sound when you withdraw them, even though I haven't touched it. I've tried it on my home computer and on my work computer, and on multiple USB ports on both computers, all with the same negative results.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? NO, I did not back up the data on the drive. L

Thanks for any solutions or suggestions. Maybe I'll have to take it to a computer repair shop to restore the data to a different USB drive?

FredL

Yes, USB drives die. All the time. I've been through like five of them over the years that just stopped working.

As far as data recovery, there isn't much you can do. I was once able to get files off a defective drive by using linux, but that's kind of a longshot.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

When you remove drives you should always safely remove hardware that way your reducing the risk of corrupted files.

My guess is that there might not be enough power going to the drive or the USB drive is dead. I'd try to take the drive out of the enclosure and try it in the PC directly, providing your drive is OUT of warranty.

I'm going to assume by USB drive you mean USB flash drive. I don't currently have a correctly working flash drive. They die within a couple years if not sooner usually. I have one that dies in a year and I send it back for lifetime warranty. :p Your best bet is to accept the loss of your data and take it into consideration to backup your files elsewhere. If you have important files on a flash drive, that should never be the only copy you have of those files. You can just as easily lose the drive even if it still works. To prolong the life of a flash drive you eject it from the computer. Just pulling it out I got all kinds of file problems.

Back
Top Bottom