Can Someone Recommend Specs for New Laptop for Me?

jakeny

Baseband Member
Laptop got messed up after spilling OJ all over it (it actually still works, but I don't trust it because liquid went deep into the underlying keyboard area where there are exposed metal parts).

I'm just getting a new laptop to be safe.

If I'm using the laptop for:

a.) internet browsing & email/Facebook
b.) word processing
c.) video chat
***d.) NOT video games

what specs should I look for as sufficient for my needs, while keeping the laptop economical?

I'm a PC user, btw, and hate Apple. I am not a gamer AT ALL and don't need anything to process those. I need mine for very simple purposes and the biggest thing I'll do on it might be video chat occasionally (like once a month with relatives overseas and friends from afar).

Can I get something under $300 to fit my needs? What specs would be best and suffice?

Thanks so much in advance!!

I do not know what Dell prices are like over the pond but here in good old blighty I always go for Dell. They are a reasonable spec and the price is reasonably cheap but the clincher for me over here is that they do a "collect and return" warranty. Basically that means that if they cannot sort the problem out over the phone they will pick it up, fix it and bring it back. I cannot tell you how good or bad that is because, whilst I have been buying Dell stuff for a good few years I have never had to use their warranty facility.

The cheapest laptop that Dell do will adequately do what you want to do. There is no CD/DVD player/recorder with the base model though. A decent USB caddied DVD player off Ebay is cheaper than going for the next model up price wise. Tis up to you and this is only my opinion.

I am just having a quick look on Amazon and you could get a nice refurbished HP Elitebook that would be perfect but probably overkill for your needs HP EliteBook 8460p 14-inch LED Notebook (Intel Core i5 2520M processor, 4GB RAM, 320GB Hard drive, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit) or this Dell AMD A8 laptop Dell Inspiron i5555 Premium Laptop PC (2016 Newest Model), 15.6-inch HD LED-backlit Display, AMD A8-7410 Quad Core Processor, 6GB DDR3L RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD +/- RW, Radeon R5 Graphics, Windows 10

Pete, what is Dell's support like now. I recall that they weren't the best but supposedly improved now.

Last edited:
Pete, what is Dell's support like now. I recall that they weren't the best but supposedly improved now.

As I said in all the years that I have bought Dell computers I have never had to use their support. I only know of one person that has used the telephone support and their problem was sorted out over the phone by Dell teckys.

They are not the best by any stretch but they are cheap, at least over here they are, and I don't have to drive 30 miles to PC World and put up with the clowns in there. I do do my own maintainence though both software and hardware but if my computer broke down in the warranty period then Dell would get the ring. So far none of my Dells have broken down in or out of warranty. I get the occasional virus and malware but I can sort those myself.

As I said in all the years that I have bought Dell computers I have never had to use their support. I only know of one person that has used the telephone support and their problem was sorted out over the phone by Dell teckys.

They are not the best by any stretch but they are cheap, at least over here they are, and I don't have to drive 30 miles to PC World and put up with the clowns in there. I do do my own maintainence though both software and hardware but if my computer broke down in the warranty period then Dell would get the ring. So far none of my Dells have broken down in or out of warranty. I get the occasional virus and malware but I can sort those myself.

That's good to know none have broken down.

You mentioned that they are not the best. Could you list which brands ARE the best?

Thanks, pete.i!

I am just having a quick look on Amazon and you could get a nice refurbished HP Elitebook that would be perfect but probably overkill for your needs HP EliteBook 8460p 14-inch LED Notebook (Intel Core i5 2520M processor, 4GB RAM, 320GB Hard drive, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit) or this Dell AMD A8 laptop Dell Inspiron i5555 Premium Laptop PC (2016 Newest Model), 15.6-inch HD LED-backlit Display, AMD A8-7410 Quad Core Processor, 6GB DDR3L RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD +/- RW, Radeon R5 Graphics, Windows 10

I've always had a policy of not getting refurbished computers - whether it's a rational bias or not. lol. I just would rather have a "fresh" one.

Thanks for the Dell recommendation. It's not bad at all and I'm highly considering it. Just going to do a tad bit more searching, since I'm in no hurry right now (using school's lab computers atm, so I'm okay).

BK, I've always appreciated your knowledgeable feedback to everyone on the forums here and thought I'd throw some follow-up questions out for you if you had time to answer them:

1.) Are there any major negatives with getting what's known as an "all-in-one" computer? I've considered this as an alternative to a new laptop. Just wondering if I'm missing something about them that I should know in terms of what's good and bad about them.

2.) Are there any laptop brands you'd say are bad and that we should avoid? Acer is one that looks kind of on the cheap side to me in terms of it's material. HP, on the other hand, seems to have nice laptops from a physical point of view.

3.) Would buying a laptop online (like the Dell you recommended) be bad with regard to shipping/handling? I've seen these crazy hiidden videos of FedEx delivery guys literally THROWING laptop boxes from very high up onto people's yards and handling them pretty harshly while loading their trucks.

I wonder if doing that risks damaging your laptop and would be something you didn't notice immediately, but would show up gradually over time? I mean, if I found a crack in my laptop, then I'd obviously know something was wrong, but what if there was some small damage from getting thrown that I couldn't see, but would contribute to it breaking down over time. Is that possible?

4.) Dell Inspiron 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i3 - 4GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive Black I3558-5500BLK - Best Buy

How does this Dell compare to the one you linked? It's $10 more than yours, but it's available at Best Buy, which I could pick up in person. Are the specs on this one better/worse/same?

Thanks a bunch for all your help! :flowers:

whoopsie, that Dell in 4.) was originally $329.99, but dropped to $259.99!!!!

Lots cheaper than I thought. But I think it might not have a DVD/CD drive? Is that correct? I feel like I'd need one, since my printer software is on a CD.

Sorry been away so haven't followed this thread. As far as what computers I think are best well none to be honest. They are all made by chineses joe and then various brand names are stuck on. I look at after sales service mainly. as I have already said I repair my own and others computers so I don't really need an after sales service after the guarantee has run out.

You are right about that Dell computer that you listed it does not have a DVD player but you can buy a USB DVD player for cheaper than the next Dell model up will cost extra but it is better not to HAVE junk hanging out the back end of your laptop otherwise you lose the whole point of having a laptop and you might just as well buy a desktop. It also depends on what you want rto do with a computer. For general work the cheapies are perfectly adequate. If you want to play games don't buy a laptop. In fact in my opinion do not buy any computer to play games on. If you want to play games go and get a playstation or x box or summat.

Thanks, pete.i.

Lastly, any thoughts on Asus, Acer, and/or Toshiba brands?

Best Buy sells them as well. They also sell Lenova, but I had an outrageously bad experience with a previous Lenova laptop, where I tripped over the power cord and not only did the power go out, but after plugging the cord back in the entire computer wouldn't even turn on. The entire laptop was busted from that tripped over cord. Freak accident, but that made me feel their durability and/or material quality is pretty poor.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

HP 19.5" All-In-One - AMD E2-Series - 4GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive White V8P23AA#ABA - Best Buy

Any thoughts guys on this All-in-One HP computer?

Was considering it over a laptop, since portability isn't my main issue right now.

You don't even need a notebook to do those things, a small lightweight inexpensive Chromebook will do what you want to do.

Back
Top Bottom