Can SATA drives be daisy chained?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCC4200

Beta member
How can you daisy chain multiple drives on a SATA Motherboard.
I am running a Gigabyte GA 7N400V Pro2. With a Seagate 120gb SATA drive on port1, and a IBM deskstar 120gb Eide drive on port2, ( has a dongle on it to convert to Sata). I am adding a DVD Burner, also witha dongle for Sata compatability, but how can I chain it?
I was told when I bought the MoBo, I could daisy chain the SATA items, but have not seen cable for it. Someone, please tell me how ot set this up, and what type of hardware I need to do it.

Thank you.

if your talking about raid, i heard u also have to have the same namebrand hard drives.

anyways, only way i know is when you install windows xp, it in the blue setupscreen as soon as u boot up the disk, it says press i believe "F3" to set up a third party raid or scsi driver, and then u install the driver first there.

thats the only way i know how to set it up, not sure if theres any other way.

but then again u might not be talking about raid lol

when you say daisy chain, are you thinking like usb. Where you plug in one device into another. For instance, you have one sata drive plugged in to a port on the motherboard, then you plug another device into that drive and so on. If this is what you are thinking you cannot do it. You have to have each drive plugged into an indvidual port. You can get a SATA controller card that can hold many drives but the drives do not plug into eachother.

That is about what I was thinking, as I want to utilize at least 3-maybe 4 items,m but only have slots for 2. I was hoping to stay away from a pci card conection, seems the bus would tend to slow things up a bit.

Thank you for the advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom