Can my power supply handle this graphics card?

I hope you're kidding....

A chip should not be able to get that hot without shutting itself down and operating at that temp for any sustained amount of time could potentially do some damage. Running at 60-70 Celsius and you need to look at better cooling. 97?!?!?! Something isn't right there.

I am looking for a different case as my processor is running 60C most of the time and my gpu is running at 39c.:eek: I believe that is way to hot!! In case you don't know C, its around 140 F. And my gpu is around 102F. Way to hot for me. If i was playing some of those games you are talking about i would fry the board and processor both! You REALLY need to do some Serious Cooling fixing!!!Try more fans or a better case. I have added all the fans i can. Time for a better case! just my two cents......:D

Update: I've installed the card and everything seems to be working correctly, however I have noticed my CPU got up to 97 degrees celsius while playing some of the more demanding games. It stayed at a steady 75-80 when playing the new resident evil however. When not playing any games it hits about 60-65 degrees, I'm not sure if it was like that before. Is there anything I could do excluding buying a new fan to improve this high temperature? The GPU doesn't get this hot, hits about 80 at the demanding games

How long has it been since you dusted your PC and applied thermal paste?

EDIT: Are you sure it's Celcius and not Farenheit? Or Kelvin (JK)? Anything would make more sense to be honest.

Last edited:
While I agree with Wallaby Dan's assessment on the gravity of those temps, and even AMD_Man's question on the measurement... the fix may be a bit easier than you may be taking from our reactions here...

Air compressor and blow out your case... get all that dust out. Then I'd start with a good aftermarket cooler. Here's the trick they don't want you to know: A $30 aftermarket cooler is all you'll need. That (and a good thermal paste application) should do wonders for those temps. Paying more for cooling will net you lower temps, but realistically you just need to stay under 60°C. A decent cooler (and even the cheap ones) will get you around 40-50°, and the nicer ones will take you even cooler... but that's not really needed unless you know why you need that.

Even so those temps are not normal. Not even with the stock cooler.

Also I just read Wallaby's comment. 39°C is not much. My 1060 is at 32°C all the time. I would not worry about that. And the CPU temp, if that's idle consumption you need to clean everything and re-apply paste. I don't even hit 60°C on my 8350 at 4.6GHz with a $25 cooler.

Amd Man Thats idle. When i start using it in games the cores go up. I seen upper of 150F. Thats why i am getting a new tower that has better management of the fans. I put this processor in about two months ago and i always use plenty of paste on them when i install a new one or cleaning the fan/cooler fins of the processor. I have had this issue before as this old tower only has one 80 in the front. and one 80 in the back. I also added a 30mm to the back in a "I made it fit" place. Two 120mm in the side and a 150mm on the processor. Thought about adding fans to the Memory sticks. The PSU has a 120mm fan on it and the Video card has a 30mm on it as well. Its just bad the way the fans are placed and i can't put larger fans in anywhere but where i could. The side panel. You can feel the fans blowing the air through the case vents. Its still a bit warm to the touch. Total case fans 5 one on the gpu and one on the processor. You would think it would be running cooler than it is but the cable management is bad and not much i can do about it with this case. Its a mid tower i think but it can have a full atx installed in it. I did that once, long time ago. Bad design cases can hurt anything you do to try to do to cool everything in the case. Cleaning is a good thing to do, I blow mine out every month. I may not need as much fan with a good case design. Just my two cents.....

Amd Man Thats idle. When i start using it in games the cores go up. I seen upper of 150F. Thats why i am getting a new tower that has better management of the fans. I put this processor in about two months ago and i always use plenty of paste on them when i install a new one or cleaning the fan/cooler fins of the processor. I have had this issue before as this old tower only has one 80 in the front. and one 80 in the back. I also added a 30mm to the back in a "I made it fit" place. Two 120mm in the side and a 150mm on the processor. Thought about adding fans to the Memory sticks. The PSU has a 120mm fan on it and the Video card has a 30mm on it as well. Its just bad the way the fans are placed and i can't put larger fans in anywhere but where i could. The side panel. You can feel the fans blowing the air through the case vents. Its still a bit warm to the touch. Total case fans 5 one on the gpu and one on the processor. You would think it would be running cooler than it is but the cable management is bad and not much i can do about it with this case. Its a mid tower i think but it can have a full atx installed in it. I did that once, long time ago. Bad design cases can hurt anything you do to try to do to cool everything in the case. Cleaning is a good thing to do, I blow mine out every month. I may not need as much fan with a good case design. Just my two cents.....

I have a rig with only 2 120mm fans. I don't think that's the issue.

Might seem a daft question. But if it's a double width card, have you removed two plates from the back of the desktop case to uncover the vent?

I once had somebody come into a shop I worked at complaining their PC was overheating, and they'd done the above, and only taken one plate off the back... the hot air couldn't be blown out the case.

I took two out so i could put a 80 mm fan in it. The back of the tower was never designed for a fan. I put two of the fans in the back that way.Have a 80mm and a 30mm that covers all the vent holes they had on this case. Just isn't enough. One thing i have thought about was cutting a hole in the side panel where the cpu fan is so it could get colder air for it. Instead i just ordered a new case that addresses that very issue. And with 4 120mm fans in it, It should be much cooler....I hope:hide:

Back
Top Bottom