Can i use a router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isis

Beta member
Hi all,

my ISP has supplied me with a usb modem. i would like to use a router to share my internet connection. Have i got the wrong kind of broadband ISP as the routers seem to require cable modems. Can i get a cable modem to use with my ISP, they say they do not offer technical support for third party modems

any help please

First you have to figure out whether or not you have DSL or Cable broadband, which is pretty simple.

If you want to use a router to share internet connection you can easily do that whether you have cable or dsl.

A usb modem doesn't matter in terms of using a router and sharing access.

You need to connect the modem to your computer with an ethernet cable so that you may use a router otherwise it will not work.

You should be connecting your modem to your computer via ethernet cable anyways. Usually, modems that come with a USB option are in-addition to the ethernet option. Trust me, you will have a much better connection via ethernet cable than USB.

Thanks guys,

have dsl broadband, the usb modem i have been given doesnt have a rj45 so, do i have to get a dsl modem that i connect to pc with ethernet cable? doesnt that mean an extra nic as well?

thanks

nope, just one nic should do the trick. connect the phone line to the new dsl modem and then the ethernet connection should go from the modem to the WAN or Internet port on the router. then just connect your computers to the LAN connections on the router/gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom