Can i get a little Flash?

Gluktar

Beta member
Hello.

Not sure that there is a tablet section here. Please redirect me if i missed the correct section.

My company needs to get some tablets for a certain application that is web based. Some of features are still flash based, and will not be recoded to html5 till early 2013.

So here is the question. The Samsung galaxy tab we just bought cannot get flash. It is no longer available in the "play store". If we go out and buy a windows tablet, what are the chances i can get flash? Also, to make things possibly more complicated, when i go through Adobe's site, it says that flash is no longer available in your country. If i try to download it from my PC it still works.

Thanks.

You'll need to sideload it.

Enable Unknown sources under Application settings, download the APK (either directly on the tablet or over computer and transfer it to the tablet), and then using a file explorer, navigate to the folder its located in, and install it.

Then, download a browser that supports Flash (I recommend Dolphin HD), and enable it under settings.

Here's the version I have (it's from my phone, but hopefully should work on a tablet.. test it on one to make sure): http://db.tt/5SBXIHiM

If that doesn't work, you can try this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1843901&highlight=flash

@MoM: Flash has been discontinued for newer Android devices.

What are they using in place of it, Carnage?

Nothing. that was Adobe's call to remove Flash after ICS. So if the device uses Jelly Bean or anything beyond ICS they will not have Flash support and in fact Adobe themselves have pulled Flash from the Google Play Store.

So to get Flash on an Android Tablet now will require hacking and voiding the warranty.

The chances of getting a Windows tablet right now, slim to none with the introduction of Surface and its release in just over a month. So you will have to wait until Oct 26th when Surface is released to find out if it will support Flash or not.

The older Windows tablets are not worth the cash considering they will be outdated in just over a month.

So the choice is up to your company, either they can move up their switch to HTML5 or wait till they can find out if Surface will support their old technology.

So to get Flash on an Android Tablet now will require hacking and voiding the warranty.

Not on all phones / tablets -- Every one I've used have actually had the side load option without needing to root.

Not on all phones / tablets -- Every one I've used have actually had the side load option without needing to root.

Yeah, you don't always have to root to sideload... Just install a file manager (I use ES Explorer), and install the .APK and it should work. You only have to root when it's a system app (located under /system/app instead of /data/app), or can't natively sideload. Even then, you can usually use ADB on it and install it that way. Just have to enable USB debugging.

And like Mak said, after ICS, Flash isn't officially supported (although I've seen working versions of Flash on Jellybean, so it's more of just it's not officially supported rather than definitely won't work).

No modern Android devices require any hacking or modding to sideload, just enable unknown sources and install the latest flash .apk and you are good to go.

No modern Android devices require any hacking or modding to sideload, just enable unknown sources and install the latest flash .apk and you are good to go.

There used to be some carriers that disabled unknown sources on their carrier ROMs; was either AT&T or Sprint, can't remember which off hand.

For the most part now, though, you're able to side load.

There used to be some carriers that disabled unknown sources on their carrier ROMs; was either AT&T or Sprint, can't remember which off hand.

For the most part now, though, you're able to side load.

At&t was the one who did it but all of those devices were discontinued years ago and some of then even had the ability to side load apps restored in later updates.

Back
Top Bottom