can I find a key stroker virus on my new used Laptop

stevethebrain

In Runtime

I recently purchased a new to me used LT from ebay, it has a OS HDD w/ windows7.

the majority of used PCs where w/out HDD & OS is this BC PPL are leary of key stroker
or similar viruses installed for maliciousness. I certainly don't need someone using my name or credit card.

like can I search this PC for a example key stroker virus? if yes please explain the procedure
for finding a said virus.
part2: I purchased a windows 7 home premium, w/ all drivers he included the drivers in a folder on desktop.
can I search to see if all drivers are included. BC I remember adding drivers just to new hardware.
edit:firefox is the preinstall browser.
Thanks

Last edited:
First off I wouldn't be using Windows 7 it's old junk now and not supported. Secondly if I buy a used computer, and I do buy lots of used computers both laptops and desk tops, the first thing I do is re-install Windows 10. Don't bother with 11 that's junk as well.

100% agree with what pete.i said, but i would still do a full wiping HDD or then reformat it (deep/full format, not short). If it is an SSD make it fully empty, format and trim it and then You should not have no more any kind of phobies.

I recently purchased a new to me used LT from ebay, it has a OS HDD w/ windows7.

the majority of used PCs where w/out HDD & OS is this BC PPL are leary of key stroker
or similar viruses installed for maliciousness. I certainly don't need someone using my name or credit card.

like can I search this PC for a example key stroker virus? if yes please explain the procedure
for finding a said virus.
part2: I purchased a windows 7 home premium, w/ all drivers he included the drivers in a folder on desktop.
can I search to see if all drivers are included. BC I remember adding drivers just to new hardware.
edit:firefox is the preinstall browser.
Thanks
If your concerned about anything malicious then I would think your most secure method would be to do a low level format of the entire drive, Download your own version of Windows 7.
https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool
Burn the .iso to disk or a usb drive. Get all the necessary drivers from the laptops manufacture (if possible) and use those. Install your fresh Windows 7 on a clean hdd and install all the drivers you downloaded. This does not mean that you could not possibly have a rootkit in the bios. So a bios flash to an updated version would or might help in making you more secure....Depends on your paranoia.
If you do not know how to burn an .iso to disk or a usb drive, how to do a low level format on a hard drive, or how to flash your bios then please ask. People here are happy to help you out.

Last edited:
I've never DL a OS and burned to disc.sucsesfully. I tryed years ago and royaly screwed it up.
what I do know how to do is samsung data migration.
I have a copy of win7 OS w/ all drivers from the replaced LT HDD.
this new LT has a sticker on the bottom I believe it contains the OS key code,(attached blury image)so this will allow me to install clean OS from this HDD using the code correct?or will the code automaticelly be reconized?
from what I understand each MOBO is assigned a key code to prevent priateing.

then I'd like to do data migraytion and start using the samsung SSD.

I've never done any flash of a bios sounds complicated.

for right now priority is I need to resolve
Difficulty extracting files from OS SSD before proceding w/ clean OS install.

My SSD from past computer has OS & files I don't think I partitioned this drive, I’m having a

hard time extracting these files. Last week I was able to

extract one file & saw all the other files,just can’t remember how

I did it.

thanks Guys for advice.

Attachments

• win7OS keycode.jpg
    win7OS keycode.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 2
There are other apps that do the same and if anybody else has a better option then please feel free to add yours.
I'm not selecting a usb option on purpose because this older laptop may or may not be able to boot to a usb.

There are several apps out there that you can burn an .iso file with. Personally I use iso burner.
http://www.freeisoburner.com/
Just install iso burner.
Download Windows 7 home version if that is what your COA key is (sticker you posted) Create a folder, give it a name like Windows 7 home. Pop a new dvd disk in your optical dvd drive. Open iso burner and select the Windows 7 iso file in the folder you created. It should burn the iso into a bootable Windows 7 installation disk

You might have to go into your bios and set the optical drive as the first boot device. See if the laptop will boot up to a disk and if it does your good.

Download Killdisk (free version) and create a bootable disk with that.
https://www.killdisk.com/killdisk-freeware.htm

Download all the necessary drivers from your laptops manufacture for Windows 7 Usually you'll need chipset, video, audio, lan/wireless....ect. You can check your Device Manager to see what type of hardware you have for your current drivers. Back up any data you want to keep, Make sure your Windows 7 disk that you created will boot up and start to do an install, but do not fully install yet. Boot up the laptop with killdisk and wipe the drive. After that run the Windows 7 disk and install Windows.

If you going to use a new SSD drive then you do not have to wipe the old hard drive, just install you new drive and install Windows and then the drivers. Start with the chipset drivers first and then the video drivers second.

Last edited:
excellent advice I'll get started on burning some disks.
if I enter the BIOS I think it will show the options for booting to, I believe there is an option to boot from dvd drive.
but for right now I'm more interested in extracting some files from the previous LTs SSD.
I was able to extract one file last week can't remember how I did it, I think I somehow used admin privalegdes just can't remember the procedure.

in disk management I'm unable to open or copy these files.
apparently this drive was partitioned for OS then files it's the F drive I want to open.
thanksdiskmanagment.jpg

What other medium are you extracting it too? how big is this file?
A special note: You need to disconnect any other hard drives when install windows because Windows has a very nasty habit of putting your boot loader on the second drive and if that is an older platter drive it will slow your boot times down a lot.
If your data is already on a second drive then just disconnect it before you install windows. You should be able to just copy/paste any personal files to whatever medium it will fit onto.

these are two differnt procedures, first before I start w/ reinstalling windows I want to extract files from a storage drive, which happened to be the C drive of previous LT.

I have the OS an a bunch of files the files proballey ocupy half of the 230GB SSD.

since this drive used to be the C I think the SW thinks I'm trying to alter the OS even though it's on it's own partition of drive.thus making it diffacult to acsess the files.
I want to save these files to another storage drive.
then I can reuse this SSD for data migration & OS drive.
thanks

Not sure if I follow....But you should back up any data on the 250gb SSD and use that to install Windows onto. Disconnect the 500gb (platter?) drive. What ever is on that 500gb platter drive will still be there when you reconnect it (be sure it does not have a boot file on it)
Software.... your best option is to go with a clean install of any software you have.
You'll want to disconnect that 500gb drive Before you use Killdisk so you do not accidentally wipe the wrong drive.

Back
Top Bottom