Can I connect a router... to another router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quartz01

In Runtime
Hey guys,

I am going to a lan party soon and almost everyone has wireless cards in their PC's except for like 5 or 6. Well we were originally using a router with 4 ports in addition to it having wireless capibilities. So I was thinking we could take an other 4 port router and hook the wireless router up to that. Would it work? Any problems with it? I am not much of a network person...

Here's a lazy drawing of what I was thinking

http://img67.echo.cx/img67/5002/wireless2px.png

Just use a switch my friend. Connect a switch to one of your LAN ports on the initial router and you are good to go for another several ports off of that switch. If there is an uplink port on that switch, make sure you plug the connection from one of the LAN ports from the router into the uplink ports on the switch. Then use the rest of the ports for the other computers

AllThingsGeek said:
Just use a switch my friend. Connect a switch to one of your LAN ports on the initial router and you are good to go for another several ports off of that switch. If there is an uplink port on that switch, make sure you plug the connection from one of the LAN ports from the router into the uplink ports on the switch. Then use the rest of the ports for the other computers

I would... if I had a switch.. I am trying to do this with the materials I have at hand (which is two routers).

Well, if you already have the two routers then you already have two switches. Just connect one LAN port on the main router to one LAN port on the 2nd router and turn of DHCP on the second and you should be good to go. You may need a crossover cable to connect the two LAN ports if your routers dont have Auto Crossover as an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom