Can anyone create app icons?

MillField

Daemon Poster
Hey guys. I'm building a simple Android application for counting the days until given dates. I was wondering is anyone here good at making icons and other branding logos? I am terrible at that type of thing. Like I said, this is a simple application for a bit of practise when I have free time but I do intend on publishing it to Google Play in the coming month or so.

If anyone could make a decent icon and promo graphic could you get in touch. I will credit you in the application.

Thanks! :)

Post up a general sketch of what you want it to look like and I might take a stab at it :tongue:

I was thinking along the lines of crossing days off a calendar or something. Kinda like this:
ImageUploadedByTech-Forums1420284037.195550.jpg

I was hoping for a pretty simple, clean looking icon if possible 😃

Use this for making your icons:
IconDeveloper - Create your own custom Windows icons
For making your own logos I suggest Paint shop pro:
http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/products/paintshop-pro/

IMO Illustrator would be better suited for app icons since it's advertised as a vector graphics program - where as PhotoShop (and pretty sure PaintShopPro as well) are geared more towards raster effects (though you can do vector graphics in either - they're just not geared towards that).

Can always use a free program though as well, such as GIMP or Paint.NET

If you have a subscription to Photoshop you'll get the highest CS version which includes the pen tool which is used to map vectors - before PS was a subscription service it was my impression you'd pay big extra bucks for the version that had this tool. Pen tool combined with masking and filtering are bar-none the best in the industry imo.

Really though I don't see the necessity to using vectors for a simple icon graphic.. icons are small and are almost always viewed at native resolution so either way they look great. I guess if you're wanting to scale the same icon a lot for different interfaces it might be less work overall to create one vector icon and render in multiple resolutions - rather than creating multiple raster images at different resolutions.

+1 to GIMP... they use the GNU license which is great... and free

Really though I don't see the necessity to using vectors for a simple icon graphic.. icons are small and are almost always viewed at native resolution so either way they look great. I guess if you're wanting to scale the same icon a lot for different interfaces it might be less work overall to create one vector icon and render in multiple resolutions - rather than creating multiple raster images at different resolutions.

This was my reason for suggesting vector-based icon :p. Android especially since there's tons of different resolutions/DPI's that devices can run at...why not just make 1 vector icon instead of 5 different sized icons? :p

Use this for making your icons:
IconDeveloper - Create your own custom Windows icons
For making your own logos I suggest Paint shop pro:
http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/products/paintshop-pro/

IMO Illustrator would be better suited for app icons since it's advertised as a vector graphics program - where as PhotoShop (and pretty sure PaintShopPro as well) are geared more towards raster effects (though you can do vector graphics in either - they're just not geared towards that).

Can always use a free program though as well, such as GIMP or Paint.NET

If you have a subscription to Photoshop you'll get the highest CS version which includes the pen tool which is used to map vectors - before PS was a subscription service it was my impression you'd pay big extra bucks for the version that had this tool. Pen tool combined with masking and filtering are bar-none the best in the industry imo.

+1 to GIMP... they use the GNU license which is great... and free

This was my reason for suggesting vector-based icon :p. Android especially since there's tons of different resolutions/DPI's that devices can run at...why not just make 1 vector icon instead of 5 different sized icons? :p

Guys, you aren't even answering the question, all he wants is a calender logo and a good graphics expert.

Back
Top Bottom