Calling for the advice from electricians and at-home DIY'ers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can, upgrade to 3 prong, just kill power and swap the wire to the new outlet. It really can be a safety issue, ever touch two computer cases on two different circuits that are not grounded? You actually usually get a NASTY little shock sensation going through you. Ground is meant to bring every thing to a common charge and literally allow excess power go straight into the ground.

Be thankful your home uses copper wiring, at one time they used ALUMINUM wiring, talk about dangerous. House wiring in the early 1900's, and if the ower was insainly lucky, late 1800s used ceramic knobs and bare wire, each wire was a foot apart, and ran along where ever to get power, all it was used for in those days was a light bulb or two, and if you was rich enough a radio that used them fancy wax like capacitors.

Yeah. Our old house was wired in the 60's. Image paper wrapped wires in a mesh overwrap... no plastic, no rubber, no ground. That house has now been rewired to today's standards. I'm amazed it didn't burn down on us.

Yeah, I want to swap out all of the outlets to 3 prong. We're moving along with painting everything already, so as we get to each room to paint, the outlets will be swapped. We started the living room last night, which is where the "uh oh do I even know how to do this anymore?" question came about in regard to what wiring I was looking for, etc.

They still use paper in wiring, but it's just to cover the ground wire, the others are encased in some kinda PVC, I remember in one the houses I once lived in, the wiring was cloth wrapped, and dipped into a wax like stuff to protect the wires. Was great for the day, but it's scary stuff when you are pulling 15 amps on a circuit.

Is that to say that all wiring of a certain age should be considered to be replaced? Or is the big thing just having a ground available within the wiring? I don't recall what these wires were wrapped in, but the house was built in '58 and we're the 2nd owner, so I doubt they did much upgrading except where they needed it (hence the one 3 prong outlet per room where they had used TVs, etc).

I have to wonder... replacing the wire... that's not something you can just... fish through, is it? That sounds like a straight up demolition job. Ripping out the wire paths from the walls and patching a *lot* of drywall, spackle, paint, etc.

On older houses, you normally don't have any insulation in the walls. If you are CONFIDENT in your electrical abilities, you can usually snake new wire in rather easily, using the old wire to help. Or you can hire an electrician that will run it all for you. It's not something that NEEDS to be done, unless you plan on using large loads. You probably have an older actual fuse box instead of breakers. What ever you do, don't go over the rating of them fuses or breakers, or even touch the rating. Hopefully no one has put a larger fuse in over the years. But the fact you have 3 wire instead of just two wires is a huge positive really.

I would say you will be fine, but if you was ever to do a remodel job in a room that involves opening a wall you will be required to update the wiring to code.

A lot of times, you can ask an electrician for an estimate and his opinions of wires, and what he would do to improve the wiring in a house, and if it really needed it. You could call up 3-5 certified guys in your area and get a better idea, as codes vary county by county, and state by state.

We actually do have a breaker box. The house inspector had a lot of compliments about it. I think he said it was a 200 amp or something? Either way, I think we're in good shape. We picked up a box of outlets at Lowes last night. Yay for weekend projects!

Then I have a feeling I trust your wiring for some unknown reason. 200 amp circuit breaker boxes are standard for most homes these days, and probably wouldn't be on that houses wiring unless they had the wires upgraded.

On older houses, you normally don't have any insulation in the walls. If you are CONFIDENT in your electrical abilities, you can usually snake new wire in rather easily, using the old wire to help. Or you can hire an electrician that will run it all for you. It's not something that NEEDS to be done, unless you plan on using large loads. You probably have an older actual fuse box instead of breakers. What ever you do, don't go over the rating of them fuses or breakers, or even touch the rating. Hopefully no one has put a larger fuse in over the years. But the fact you have 3 wire instead of just two wires is a huge positive really.

I would say you will be fine, but if you was ever to do a remodel job in a room that involves opening a wall you will be required to update the wiring to code.

A lot of times, you can ask an electrician for an estimate and his opinions of wires, and what he would do to improve the wiring in a house, and if it really needed it. You could call up 3-5 certified guys in your area and get a better idea, as codes vary county by county, and state by state.

I have read a lot of this thread, not all, and I have to say (being an electrician) that Corrosive is giving great advice here. Like he said, you can get by with the old wiring, but just remember that anything connected to a circuit with two wires in it will have absolutely NO ground. So some things could find alternate grounding measures (worst case - you). So in other words, anything with a 3- prong plug will not be grounded.

Jayce, it looks like you are on the right track in knowing that 3-wire is the way to go along with the grounded receptacles. And Corrosive is also right in saying that you can use the old wire to fish the new one through. Could be difficult, but not necessarily impossible.

Good luck, mate !

I'm not sure we're dealing with any 2 wires though... Everything I've seen so far (I've taken apart 1-2 outlets per room) all have a copper wire shoved in the back, presumably the ground, so it looks like the house was 3 wire with 2 prong receptacles everywhere. But, you know something... I kind of like this neutral/non charged feeling, so I figured I'd ask and make sure before I begin sticking forks in sockets to see how they work. :p

Appreciate the responses guys!

At least you are enabling the use of that ground wire here soon I think. At times I HATE 3 prong plugs because I have so many two wire extension cords, and at other times I love having them to keep me from some how getting shocked by computer cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom