Calculating VAT in Excel

westy159

In Runtime
Hi folks,

Im creating a spreadsheet in Excel 2010 for claiming expenses (such as travel) at work. One requirement is that it should be possible to enter a price - either including or excluding VAT - and have the other amounts be automatically calculated.

Heres a screenie for the relevant part of the spreadsheet to help.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/5300/vatcalc.jpg

For simplicity sake we'll call the top left cell A1. So what should happen is that a user can enter a VAT excluded price, let's say £60, in to the left column and the amount including VAT (£72) will appear in the right column with the VAT (£12) appearing in the middle column. And they should be able to do this in reverse, so enter £72 in the right column and get £60 and £12 in the other columns. The totals of these 3 columns add up at the bottom.

Now I can place calculations for this in the respective columns (=C2/1.2 =C2-A2 =A2*1.2) and this works except when a user deletes an entry it will delete the formula with it, as well as that there's a problem with the two VAT exc / inc formulas going round in circles as they refer to each other.

Really cant think of a way around this. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I would have two parts. One for entry or either w/ vat or w/o Vat. Then have the calculation section to the right.

Here is an example for you.

The sheet is protected so users can only enter in columns A and B.
There is no password so just unprotect sheet to edit.

Attachments

• vat_test.zip
    9.9 KB · Views: 5
You guys get off cheap.

If you are working a 20%VAT change cell d2

=IF(B2="excluding vat";A2;IF(B2= "including vat";(A2*0.8);0))

To:
=IF(B2="excluding vat";A2;IF(B2= "including vat";(A2*0.833333);0))
or
=IF(B2="excluding vat";A2;IF(B2= "including vat";(A2/1.20);0))

Copy the formula down to d31

Change currency formatting from € to £

I will take the higher VAT.

Along those lines:

Edit:
Why does it have to embed the video.

Search for this slightly NSFW.

Sweden VS UK nightclubs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom