C:\Windows\CSC folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

selina

In Runtime
i have a laptop user who's C:\windows\csc is more then 27gb and of courese, it's causing a problem. this user has a history of coping all data from server onto his laptop and crashes it. now that i found the major occupancy of HD, can i delete this folder? if so, how?

1) Open Windows Explorer
2) Tools -> Folder Options
3) "Offline Files" tab
4) Uncheck "Enable Offline Files" and reboot.

Delete everything in C:\WINDOWS\CSC, but not the directory itself
You should be able to delete all but 1-2 files. I believe there is also an option in there to limit the amount of space the cache should be able to use as well.

ya, i did that. but \csc still has 19gb of stuff. i deleted all offline files. i told the user to log on and sync the offline files and then, make them unavailable offline to see if that helps.
the limit can only be set for automatically cashed files. does not apply to manually cached files which are most of the files if not all...
is there any way to limit the size of CSC folder?

now i deleted offlien files with ctrl+shift.
it re-initialized the network folders but the problem remains.
user can't make or undo available offline. the option is grayed out and i just can't make it work.

i did:
- disconnected the network folder
- set My Document back to default (it was targetted to this network folder)
- deleted offline folder with ctrl+shift and reboot. (this btw, solved the problem with csc directory being too large)

the option to uncheck 'make available offline' is still grayed out. because of this, the files are sync'd automatially and the same problem all over again.
what else can i do?

What is the path of that folder? This folder sync with another folder on the server; is that what you are saying? If the path to the server is indeed on the folder, set it back to default, then delete the items on the C: drive..

Am I in the right direction or did I misunderstand?

actually, the question was on c:\windows\csc folder. i know it's offline folder stuff there. but normally when you delete offline folders, the size of csc also reduces. but in this user's case, it didn't, until i deleted offline folder with ctrl+shift, which re-initialize offline folder cache.

this is what happened:
each user has their data folder in a server which is mapped to N:\ in their respective machine. their 'my documents' is targetted to this N:\ drive.
we also have shared folder in each server in branch offices which is mapped to S:\ in users machine.
most of laptop users make some folders in N:\ offline.

this user tried to make all data folder (N:\) AND shared folder (S:\) offline on his laptop and of course it was more than his HD capacity. after that, he noticed his HD was 99% full. option to undo "make available offline" was grayed out so he called me. i noticed that C:\Windows\CSC directory took most of the HD space and tried just deleting offline folders from Tools\Folder Options. It deleted the actual files but not in the CSC for some reasons. (i think it was bcuz it exceeded the HD capacity so it was never done "properly") then, i deleted offline folders with ctrl+shift. then, it recused the size of CSC but 'make available offline' is still grayed out. so i can't make them not available offline.
this is where i'm stuck at.

To move these files, look for for information on cachemov.exe on the internet (I believe it's on the Windows CD). To disable this feature, you should be able to open My Computer, click on Tools > Folder Options... and then click on the Offline Files tab. You can then delete the files (Delete files...) and / or view the files (View files). To disable online files, deselect the option "Enable offline files" and click OK.

well, the size of CSC is reduced to normal size now, so i guess that's fine. but the problem now is the option to uncheck "make available offline" is grayed out. and even when i disable offline folder from tools>folder optons..., the network folder indicates it's sync'd.

also, i have to enable this option as this is for a laptop user and he'll just kill me if i disabled it.

i wonder what's graying out 'make available offline' option....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom