C-Media AC97 Re-Format Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_Vermette

Solid State Member
Just recently I re-formatted my computer (for the first time in 3 years), and I was disturbed when I tried to play some music - I got a hardware error!

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound devise..."

And the message continued to list a couple reasons why it might not be working.

After that, I go into my Device Manager and re-install the driver, re-boot, and it still doesnt work. (Also, in the device manager, it has the yellow ! symbol), Unfourtinitly, I never got the driver CD, so there was no luck there either.

After doing this 5 more times (For some reason, I thought it might magically work. X_X) I try googling the problem. I go to the C-Media website only to get In-Understandible installers and no luck installing and un-installing them.

Has anyone had this problem before? (Re-Formatting a computer and having problems with an C-Media AC97 device), and if so, I would be very exstatic if anyone has the cure for my conundrum. It's getting quiet and I miss my music. :'(

horndude said:
Goto your motherboard's manufacturer website and look for the driver.

Thank you.

You wouldnt know how I would fine my MOBO's name/id/whatever it is? (Would it be printed on the board?) My MOBO is about 3 years or so old, so I'm assuming it's a retired model, I need to find it here.

horndude said:
When it boots up is the model shown when it does it power on self test?Sometimes it will be ,sometimes not.

Other than that, open the case and take a look, but the number isnt always easy to find, they put it in small print in weird places if at all sometimes.If you can find the fcc ID # you can look it up at drivers.com, but they usually put that # on the back side of the motherboard.

Did you build this thing yourself,buy it already built or used?

I got the computer a few years ago, and I didnt have much money at the time. so for the past year I've been upgrading it myself when money would come afloat. At this point I've only put in two more hard-drives, ram sticks, a new floppy slot, and a DVD burner.

I'm more into the software aspects of computers, I only know the basics of hardware, at best. I would normally wait and learn how to fix the problem myself, but I do like my music. ;)

Anyway, I'm taking a looksee now.

I can't find it, anywhere. I even tried re-starting my computer 500 times to look for it in the BIOS startup... I'm just a little sick that I might not be able to fix this one.

Is there any other way, or even a diagram somewhere?

*Installs new driver

it WORKED!!!

*Writes down everything

Thank you very much for all your help! I really owe you one. ^_^;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom