C++ beginners template?

danhodge

In Runtime
I know you may read this and totally disagree with the way i want to learn C++, but its the way i learnt HTML/CSS, as i find it easier to concentrate on the project, as i am more interested, so i put more time into it (i have pretty bad concentration issues).

I got through the basics of programming in Java/VB, however i want C++ to be my first programming language that i am decent in using and will continue using - since i am hoping to go into the field of game development (hence not using Java or VB, as they are not too reliable).

Therefore, i am hoping to download a template (preferably a 3d game, where character movements are already precoded) where i can play around with the code, and learn from the top down.

I am (hopefully) going to Uni in 2 years to study computer science, meaning any issues with the way i learn this will be picked up when i learn it properly.

My question to you is this: Are there any templates you suggest? Or are there any you have used at all? I can't find anything that is still working now...

Very eager to start programming, as i have so many game ideas just bursting out of me :')

Thanks a lot,
Danny

I know you may read this and totally disagree with the way i want to learn C++, but its the way i learnt HTML/CSS, as i find it easier to concentrate on the project, as i am more interested, so i put more time into it (i have pretty bad concentration issues).

I got through the basics of programming in Java/VB, however i want C++ to be my first programming language that i am decent in using and will continue using - since i am hoping to go into the field of game development (hence not using Java or VB, as they are not too reliable).

Therefore, i am hoping to download a template (preferably a 3d game, where character movements are already precoded) where i can play around with the code, and learn from the top down.

I am (hopefully) going to Uni in 2 years to study computer science, meaning any issues with the way i learn this will be picked up when i learn it properly.

My question to you is this: Are there any templates you suggest? Or are there any you have used at all? I can't find anything that is still working now...

Very eager to start programming, as i have so many game ideas just bursting out of me :')

Thanks a lot,
Danny

In my Game Programming I class, our instructor had us modify the Warbirds Pacifica and Tank War games. I can see if I can get you the sourcecode from our book's CD that had the source code.

That would be fantastic, thanks!

No problem. Not sure when I'll get it to you this weekend since it's my college's homecoming weekend (i.e. parties lol), but I'll try to get it to you. If I forget to reply, PM me :p.

I'm sure you can find the source on Google as well somewhere though too.

Ahh yes, i have found a lot of stuff regarding Warbirds Pacifica - if i find a working version i will comment in here :)
I presume you used Visual Studio?

Ahh yes, i have found a lot of stuff regarding Warbirds Pacifica - if i find a working version i will comment in here :)
I presume you used Visual Studio?

Yep. VS 2010 Ultimate. Got it free from my university.

Here's all the source code from the book:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=DA2DF6D668A9D5A7!144

Separated by the book's chapters (Game Programming All In One: Third Edition for reference).

Each chapter either follows the same game, adding steps, or has different code.

You'll also need the Allegro 4.2.3 game library: Files

Scroll to the section under Binary, and select the version for whatever version of Visual Studio you have.

Back
Top Bottom