Buying new ram

pockey

Beta member
Alright I need to upgrade my ram, I currenlty have Windows 7 64 bit running on my machine with a striker extreme MB. It takes DDR2 800 but I am confused on what to buy. I want to get 2 2 gig sticks of ram. I don't understand timing though and CAS latency. If the CAS latency is 5 and the timing is 5-5-5-18 is that good? Or is a 4-4-4-12 better? This machine is built for gaming. Any help would be great, same with any advice on what company to buy ram from.

Alright I need to upgrade my ram, I currenlty have Windows 7 64 bit running on my machine with a striker extreme MB. It takes DDR2 800 but I am confused on what to buy. I want to get 2 2 gig sticks of ram. I don't understand timing though and CAS latency. If the CAS latency is 5 and the timing is 5-5-5-18 is that good? Or is a 4-4-4-12 better? This machine is built for gaming. Any help would be great, same with any advice on what company to buy ram from.

4-4-4-12 is better (tighter timings) but the difference shouldn't really be that noticeable between that and some decent RAM with 5-5-5-15 timings...

my suggestion would be to look at the motherboard documentation and get some RAM on the QVL, even RAM that's not on the QVL should work, but the RAM listed on the QVL is almost guaranteed to work...

Back
Top Bottom