Buying new PC

SamDurk

Beta member
I'm headed off to University soon, and want to buy a new PC for the occasion. My budget currently is around £800-£900. I'm fairly computer literate, but stilll unsure as to what makes a good PC. Ideally, i'd like it to be able to run games smoothly as well.

Currently, i'm looking at getting a new PC from www.Cube247.co.uk. I'm looking at a computer for around £850 with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Dual Core Processor
2048MB DDRII 667 Corsair Memory - The World's Premium Memory!
320GB Seagate Hard Disk - Ultra Fast SATA II!
Intel Core 2 Duo Deluxe Motherboard
16x DVD Player - Fastest DVD ROM Available!
NEC DVD ReWriter ND4570 16x Dual Layer & Dual Format - The Best Drive In The World!
ATI Radeon x1600PRO 512MB PCI-Express Graphics Card!
Sony Floppy Drive
8 Channel Sound (7.1 Surround Sound)
12x USB2 Ports
Firewire
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Adapter
Midi Tower Case
17" TFT Screen 8MS DVI & VGA - Ultra Fast & Stylish Screen
Logitech Keyboard
Logitech Optical Mouse
Creative Inspire 5800 5.1 Speaker System

This seems good to me, just checking that it is. Theres also one for the same price, but with a AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+ Dual Core AM2 instead. Is there much difference here?

All help much appreciated, as this is a large purchase and I want to make sure I get a good PC.

the e6400 core2duo leaves the x2 4600 in the dust.. umm the video card could use an upgrade some where down the road, but that should handle games alright until the dx10 release. this is about 1700 dollars usd correct? if it comes with windows installed, it's an alright buy. not the greatest bargain, but you certainly aren't getting ripped off. imo at least.

Ok, cheers for the help with processor. Its around $1600 I think, and prices in the UK seem generally higher anyway.

My current graphics card is a Radeon X800 pro, is this new one then a massive leap up, or just a small step, as I really do want a nice card in place. Tried using ati comparision, but couldn't understand the real specifics.

Cheers for your help!

yeah that looks pretty good. The x1600pro is a pretty good card, shouldn't have any trouble with the latest games. It's gonna be fine until dx10 comes out, which is probably Q1 of 2007.

And go with the core 2 duo instead of the amd x2.

I think that's a fantastic graphics card! I didn't know they did 512MB Cards :p I can't see why you would need an upgrade on that for years if you're at uni you won't get time for games! :D

But yeah its looks like a fantastic pc for that price! Amazing actually. Can't suggest anything. Can only suggest a case lock for the tower if you're going to be living in Uni Accomodation! Good luck with Uni!

Wow! Nice rig you will have there! That graphics card is..... *drool*... awesome! Anyway, just wow... that rig will last you years to come!

Back
Top Bottom