Buying more ram

TP-Oreilly

In Runtime
Currently i have 3 x 1gb of ddr3 1600mhz ocz ram. If i buy 2 x 1gb of ram and put it in the other slots so then i have a total of 5gb of ram, would my pc work like im using triple channel, and then another 2gb of ram. or would it work like i have 5 single sticks?

The ram im looking at has the exact same spec, same timings, 1600mhz, same make, as mine, except thst mine is ocz gold, and the other is ocz titanium. THe only difference between them i think is the metal on the ram sticks, also there is a slight difference in voltage, mine is 1.65, the others are 1.8, does this matter?

Ah, for the other ram it says "optimized and predefined for the Intel X38 chipset", mine is the x58 chipset, will it still be compatable

Both ram is PC3-12800

The 3 X 1GB RAM you have at the moment will work as triple channel RAM but the 2 X 1GB RAM your thinking of will operate in dual channel mode.

It'll give you 5GB but I would just buy another triple channel RAM kit and go for 6GB.

Hmm im being told different things here lol.

I got a 2gb stick instead of 2x 1gb, i got it because it was pretty cheap.

I have 3 x 1 gb in my white slots, and im gonna put a 2gb stick in one of my blue slots, how will that run? triple channel for the 3gb? and a single for the 2gb?

also, my mobo manual says "when enabling 3 channel mode with four memory modules, be sure to install them in the ddr3_1, ddr3_2, ddr3_ and ddr3_5 sockets."

Back
Top Bottom