Buying DDR4

Just a further point to the RAM item I mentioned at #10. The link that you gave me PP, shows a stick with 260 pins. As I mentioned, I can't find anything definitive in the manual or machine specs that tells me what the exact number of pins is and so, I have done a physical count and have arrived at 288. There are 77 pins in one section x two sides =154 and there are 67 pins in the other section x two sides = 134, the two added together gives me 288.
Does that have any bearing on your initial thoughts?

Last edited:
No, there's no need to do anything in the BIOS for added HDD's. Not any more. In the past it was a little annoying sometimes. I mean something like +15 years ago.

You can disconnect the RAM you have and compare it to the one on line. If the module code is the same, it should be fine. But since I'm not a laptop savvy, I digress. You learned "spinner" and I learned "digress" :D

I'm just following after PP's steps is all. Dunno if it is a laptop or desktop RAM. It's also referred to as "mobile" RAM and it goes for other parts too like graphics processors. Started for laptops and now used for other lightweight devices like some compact desktops.

The pic you provided is hiding some part of the installed RAM stick so I can't tell. Personally I think it's not a Dell things to use mobile parts to save space and compromise price which is important. Mobile parts are typically more expensive. Not sure of it now, and as I said, I'm not into laptops so I could be wrong.

Did you compare the "look" of the current RAM chip with the pics in the links as reassurance? Direct dimensions comparison could help. That could confirm the form factor. Maybe counting the pins does not work the way you did?

As I suspected, it was a desktop RAM stick all along.

You could have just compared the looks, but good thing you provided a pic to see the sticker. Here's a better fit for the upgrade:
https://www.amazon.com/Hynix-PC4-21300-DDR4-2666MHz-288-Pin-HMA81GU6CJR8N-VK/dp/B07K6YGWML

But the suffix only is different. yours' is NO AD and that one is NO AC. All other finds with the right suffix; NO AD are sold out. Try contacting the seller. Hopefully this suffix relates to a set or something else that won't hurt. Or maybe Dell can advise about the compatibility.

Here's a perfect fit but it's sold out. Try asking the seller about restocking:
https://www.ebay.com/p/14033722564

I'm not a fan of mixing RAM sticks because I had bad experience in it. Sorry for not being helpful here.

Last edited:
I referred to it as laptop memory by comparing your pic vs the board I found on Google which does have laptop memory; that'd be 260 pins or SODIMMs. I also looked at the model you gave me which points to laptop RAM. Almost everything was identical, but this is why I specifically said wait till you got it there and compare yourself because if you started with that pic above I wouldn't have linked the other RAM. The crucial linked is fine, they don't have to be identical.

Hi again PP Mguire, I have actually found a supplier of (almost) the exact same DDR. My existing memory is the top image. You will see that the only difference is in the identification lettering from VK AD 1950 (mine) to VK AC 1928 (the proposed purchase). I am trying to find out what this difference means and if it matters.

Thank you so much for all your help with this.

DDR4 Memory.jpgFlexxmemory.jpg

All sorted now chaps. The machine is up and running. Apparently the number at the end of the product description is simply the date it was manufactured.

In the case of the images at post 18, one of them was manufactured in week 28 of 2019 and the other was week 50 of 2019. I don't doubt that many of you know this anyway.

Thanks to all for the fantastic help. very much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom