Buying DDR4

bluenose1940

In Runtime
I am looking to purchase a further 8GB of RAM.

The module fitted at the moment that I assume that I need to match is, SK HYNIX 8GB 1Rx8 PC4 266V -UA2-11 HMA81GU6JJR8N-VK NO AD 1950

How close do I need to get to those details (above) that are shown on the existing module or, can I use any 8GB DDR4 266v module.

Any recommendations as to brand.

Thank you

You can get 8GB 2666 Samsung modules off Amazon, as well as Crucial, etc. I would wait until you have the machine in your possession because there's no real specs on RAM modules and what you have up there points to SODIMMs which is laptop RAM. Let's make sure what to get first.

Hi again PP Mguire, I have the machine now and the details that I have given in my original post are taken from the actual unit installed. I took it out of the machine and copied the details accurately.
Why would they use laptop RAM in a desktop, is that a cheap option?
I have been onto Dell's help site and have been looking at the details for fitting an HDD and Interestingly, when looking at the motherboard, the M.2 SSD looks nothing like the one in the illustration in the help pages for removing or installing that particular SSD.
Where does that leave me then?

Last edited:
Best bet is to get an identical RAM chip(s).

Technically it is possible to mix RAM chips as long as they are of the same type. The faster will go down to the slower. But people, including me, faced problem with this. Regardless to mixing, some times, but not necessarily, if the RAM is not listed on the mobo's support list, it acts up even if it meets the specs. Been there, too.

How many chips are there? From "1Rx8", I presume it's only one chip?

There are different types of M.2 devices/cards with different looks. If it's just a guide for installation, it would work for any of those types. I could be missing something here, tho. M.2 is the slot's name; an interface, not the part installed on it. It could be a WIFI card or different SSD types, for example. Link us to see?

First off if the chips are the bits that are about half an inch square then there are 8 of them, I'll try to get a piccy of the pc innards and a screen shot of the help page.
Give me a few minutes.

Right I'm back. Hopefully I will be able to attach the piccy's here, should work ok I think.

One piccy shows the innards of my pc, with the SSD clearly showing near to the centre of the image. The other is a screenshot of the service manual showing the SSD drive that can be fitted or removed. You will see that they are totally different.
Yes there appear to be 8 chips on the RAM module.

Attachments

• M.2 in my Vostro 3671.jpg
    M.2 in my Vostro 3671.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 7
  • Motherboard_1.jpg
    Motherboard_1.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 7
Forget the chips on the RAM stick, that was a vocabulary mistake I made :D

I see only one RAM stick installed there. Or did you remove the other one before taking the pic? If it's only one, find an identical stick to add to the one currently installed. Perhaps on Amazon or Ebay if the OEM does not provide it.

Don't worry about the physical look of the SSD. Just make sure the computer is fitted with what's advertised. Check the Device Manager under Disk Drives or Computer Manager under Disk Management and make sure the SSD is there or give us a screenshot to see for you. After that just add the HDD. The SSD illustrated on the guide you attached is a long type 2280 M.2 SSD. What's installed seems to be the shorter one; type 2230.

I see there are two data SATA ports available. You will need a data SATA cable for the extra HDD. Check if the PSU has an available power SATA cable too so you can provide power to the extra HDD.

Last edited:
M.2 drives come in different sizes. The one pictured in the guide is a 2280 which is a standard size, if you look at the hole to the left of the SSD on the board you'll see where it says 2280. Your current size is 2230. There should be no need to mess with the SSD when trying to put your drive in there.

The current RAM sticks are laptop sticks or SODIMMs. They do this to save space and utilize extra stock. A couple years back laptop RAM was cheaper than desktop RAM so that's probably why this model uses them. Functionality is literally the same, only smaller. Here's what you need.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hynix-PC4-...+PC4-21300+DDR4-2666MHz&qid=1597451882&sr=8-6

Thank you chaps, you have clarified some points for me.

No I haven't removed a memory stick, there is only the one in the machine which I now intend to double up on.

I was only concerned about the SSD purely from the physical size (looks) of the thing, the service manual shows a much larger unit than the one in the machine but you have both cleared that matter up for me.

Yes there is a spare power cable and a SATA cable available for when I transfer the WD 'spinner' from my old machine. See, I'm learning some of the 'jargon' now:triumphant:

Thanks for the link PP, I will get my order in today and, when I have got it all up and running I will check Device Manager etc (as per Smart_Guy) and will report back. One thing does confuse me with the DDR4, where does it show how many pins that the module has? Most of them seem to be 288 pins, but the linked to module is 260 pins. I've looked in the service manual but can't find a reference to this to confirm.

When I add the WD HDD and the additional memory, will I need to change anything (BIOS) or will the pc read and adjust automatically?

Thanks again for all the help chaps, it really is very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom