Buying a Rig tonight...

Deathbank

In Runtime
Ok, here in the next few hours probably, or around 11pm central time, Im going to order a rig from IBuyPower.com for gaming. The price before shipping is $1073 and I was just wanting to run these parts by you experts to see what you thought. I can't "build it myself" because my parents don't want me doing it for my first time and this is one of the cheapest places i've found. I like NVIDIA and I like AMD. So here we go..

System Specs

AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X4 920 Quad-Core
Asus M3N72-D NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound
4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB w/DVI + TV Out Video
1 TB Hard Drive Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache
16x DVD-ROM Drive
LG 22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive
Nzxt Alpha Gaming Tower Case
650 Watt PSU -- Casegears
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

I was thinking I could overclock my CPU since the reviews on newegg.com say it is stable and very low temp til 3.5ghz so it won't bottleneck the GTX 260. The Mobo will support 8GB of RAM so since im getting 4 now, I have a huge upgrade capacity. I love that 1TB hard drive, makes me drool (is it good?). My thought on the dual CD/DVD drives is that I could have both running at the same time such as playing a movie and a game at the same time (is this how it works?). Also, my screen is a 22" Syncmaster with a max resolution at 1680x1050.. As for the case, I really like the layout and placement of the features especially that side window. Is that blue light going to come installed or is that something I'm going to have to add 10$ in the price for? Last but not least, That power supply is enough to power this rig, correct? If there are any other suggestions please let me know. I've read, read, and read some more and this is the best option I've come up with.

Thanks!

Looks good to me.

Yeah AMD's overclock very nicely...same with the intel core 2 duos..like mine :D

Looks like a very nice system.

It has a good CPU, huge drive, fast graphice card and plenty of power w/ the 650W PSU. The light is more than likely supplied by the LED cooling fans, so you wont need to add it.

As for the dual DVD drives, I really don't think you'll need two. The only way to have a game running and watch a movie at the same time is to have a dual monitor setup. Besides, having a movie running the same time as a game will really bog down the gaming performance.

The Phenom series are some of the best over clockers on the market. That power supply is enough to power that rig, yea. As far as your dual drive idea is, your right technically but i wouldn't go playing a movie and a game at the same time.

Nice choice of parts, how much is assembly costing you? Just out of interest.

Asus M3N72-D NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound
I think I would go with a 790GX board over an Nvidia chipset if you're serious about overclocking it. Especially as you can't just increase the multiplier if with the 920.

Apart from that, looks good. :)

Well would the MSI DKA790GX mobo be better suited? It still supports 8GB max of RAM and looks like eventually I could go dual GTX 260s with a better PSU..

The total cost is 1158 with 3-5 shipping fedex. Thanks SOOO much for the advice!

ibuypower.com...

So the chipset has to be nvidia? So if in the future i want to go SLI, i need to stick with my current mobo?

yes

sorry for not reading the first post about where you are getting it from lolz.

it's either you get SLI and don't over clock, or you overclock and use 1 video card

The MSI board is a great choice for the Phenom X4, but if you ever plan on going SLI, you will need an Nvidia based board.

Back
Top Bottom