Buying a New Computer.

_Daut_

Baseband Member
Hey there, I don't really know much about computers and the different parts that they are made of but I do like to play games so I would like to buy a computer for gaming.

I have a budget of about 3000$ although I can accede from it but not by much. Please don't ask me why I want to spend so much money on a computer, I posed this in another forum and the thread instantly turned into a discussion about how some people waste too much money on computers or whatever...

The only thing I heard someone say was that I should wait for some DX cards but I don't want to wait and I want to buy the computer now so please don't start with that either.

So basically I need a computer for 3000$ (give or take) for gaming. Sorry if I sounded a little harsh I just really need help and not have some discussion about "people wasting too much money on computers".

Also, someone told me I should buy ATI Video cards rather then NVIDIA cards...

Thanks for the help. :)

This computer is for my son and he has a very expensive 24" Dell screen (monitor?) at home so he doesn't need a screen I guess.

(He doesn't understand much at computers either.)

Do you plan on custom building this yourself, selecting the parts and ordering them to your home or are you more comfortable with pre-built computers. Given your budget it doesn't seem like money is an issue. If you aren't comfortable with building your own computers you could try sites such as www.ibuypower.com for prebuilt custom computers. Right now nVidia is leading with the 7950GX2 videocard, however I think it would be in your best interest to get two ATi x1900XTX's in crossfire mode. Intel takes the cake for best processor as of now with Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe), you might be interested in purchasing the 6800 given your budget. I'm very sketchy on the different types of Conroe motherboards that are available at the moment so I can't help you out there. RAM is up to you, which brand you trust most, but as of now 2 GBs of RAM is enough to satisfy any application that you intend to throw at your computer. The lower the timings the better. Hard drive is also up to you depending on how much room you want. Hope this helped. Unless you plan to do overclocking you do not need water cooling, regardless of your budget, that would just be a waste.

Thanks for taking the time and writing that but I would really prefer to custom build the computer. From what I understand I can put 2 cards of each type so if the 7950GX2 is the leading card why are two X1900XTX's better then two of those?

I also heard that I should definitely get a Conroe processor as those are the strongest ones by far right now. That doesn't tell me very much though.

because the 7950gx2 is sorta a waste of money, even though you get exceptional performance.

yeah, conroe's beat everything on the market rite now.

Can someone just please post a suggestion for a configuration?

From what I understand the most important things are the CPU, Video Card, Memory and Motherboard. Can someone please explain to me what the Motherboard does? I read about the other parts a little and what they do but I didn't really understand what's the role of the Motherboard.

Also, I would like a rather good sound card but nothing fancy. (No speakers though.)

With that much money, you can get something really nice :)

Basically, you want to be looking for a Core 2 Duo processor (or CPU) - these are the latest and wipe the floor with every else, and they are not even very expensive :)

For a gaming PC, the next most important part is the graphics card - looking for either a X1800XT, a X1900XT (or XTX) or a 7900GT or GTX. The 7950GX2's are just a waste of money, they overheat causing corruption and due to dodgy drivers an upgrade is not wise (that is my opinion based on everything I've read).

I would definitely recommend Voodoo PCs, who do excellent PCs. Unfourtunately, their cheapest PC is $3200, which is out your budget, and even then a lot of that money is for the custom paint job.

I know you said not to go over budget, but I was blown out of the water by this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16883227003

Core 2 Duo X6800 (the best processor in the world)
1GB RAM (enough :), and your son or your local internet cafe could always upgrade later for about $100)
2 x ATi Radeon X1900XTXs in Crossfire - pretty much the most powerful combo of graphics cards possible
Watercooling - quieter than air cooling, but more expensive
Camoflage spray-painted case

If he has the screen I'm guessing he has the other essentials - speakers, keyboard, mouse. If not, maybe he could pay half which would keep your costs down?

Seriously, that is an amazing PC!

Back
Top Bottom