Buying a new Computer Power Supply

Prodigy93

Baseband Member
Hello everyone i am looking to buy a new power supply because the one now constantly over heats. The one i have now is 230 V i think... i am not good in computers but i think thats it. So if i am looking to buy a new one are there any specific restrictions i have to follow or can i just get whatever one ??

Thank you all is appreciated.

Hey there,

What kind of computer do you have? Was it pre-built or did you build it? If your computer came with a 230V power supply, it's safe to assume that something with a bit more power can be suitable for your needs.

Until I get some more information I can't necessarily suggest anything, as some computers have proprietary power supplies that can only be replaced with the same model unit. However, if this isn't the case, you can always go for some of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010320058 4802&bop=And&Order=PRICE

Cheers,

Chris

Alrighty. Well, that seems like a great power supply and I've actually suggested that same one to a few people, but one of my buddies on this forum mentioned that they've got a few problems. I don't know if that would affect your decision, but now that we know its a custom-built computer, you can literally pick one that you like that would match your computer's style, needs, etc. Especially since your system doesn't need insane power to keep it rolling, I doubt you'll run into any problems.

Ok thank you i think that's the one i will get then!
Also one more question same as above except with the fan in the middle of the computer what is that called and can i also buy which ever ? Right now i have some Intel one that is REALLY loud.

Are you talking about the actual heatsink and fan for the processor?

010.jpg

If so, you can go ahead and get an aftermarket heatsink and fan, and that would obviously require removing the current one, reapplying thermal paste, and sticking the new one on. There are some (like my Tuniq Tower) that require removal of the motherboard.

I'll wait till you confirm my question.

Yes thats what I am talking about my looks like that right now.
I can ask this guy in person who i know to look at it because he might put in the video card + power supply i am getting to look at it but i was wondering if i should look into it before just buying.

Ok thank you for all your help i will definately buy the power supply but i will wait until i learn more about heatsinks before i buy that but thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom