Buying a Bargain Computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefragMyHead

In Runtime
A girl I work with is interested in buying a computer and looking to spend around six hundred dollars. She is ignorant about tech so building is out of the question--dont even bother suggesting it. She wants a Dell, but I tried telling her that they are not ideal. My efforts to persuade her away from Dell were muted by my boss's insistence that Dells Rock!! So I want her to get her money's worth because she's a sweet girl and she has lots of problems and I know if she burned six hundred on a computer and things went wrong she'd be really depressed. But I really didn't know what to suggest. I mean I bought my comp--but it was high end. And I've since upgraded it myself with some nice components. So I really don't know what to reccomend in the lower end of the spectrum. Also, can anyone give me a little advice on how to disuade her from getting a Dell. I tried to tell her some stuff but she really didnt "get it." Maybe a Dell would be fine for her, but there has to at least be a few better options, huh?

If she is ignorant about tech and you work with her, what's the problem IF YOU BUILD THE COMPUTER? It's nothing extensive. As long as you build it for her, you know it should perform up to par.

The only few reasons I can see you won't want to do this is if she has a problem, she'll be calling you.

Or that you're lazy, and you won't want to do it.

Like I said, she's just a very troubled girl. Intrinsically untrusting, paranoid, cautious. Guess she just doesn't want to "risk" it.

In my opinion if you want a basic pc for word processing, browsing the internet and playing the odd dvd then you cant really go wrong with a budget Dell. They are cheap and as long as you don't try and add anything else to them they are pretty reliable (in my experience). However I also agree that anything above the most basic system, a Dell severely limits upgrade options due to having custom cases and mobos, 150w power supplies and other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom