bus controller or vid card problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
I have a problem and I assumed it was my 6800 dying. I start up and there are blue dots aligned on my LCD monitor and before it can load windows, the screen turns blank and the monitor goes to standby due to lack of signal.

Safe mode says otherwise, safemode works perfectly with no distortion. I have found out, however, that "Intel (R) 82801EB SMBus Controller - 24D3" is missing it's drivers. That's the only thing that I can tell that's wrong with the hardware installed, everything else seems to be (at least the computer thinks so) working fine.

The drivers won't install automatically, the drivers won't install from my motherboard'd cd-rom due to safe mode, I have googled for the drivers, come to find out that Intel's site is no longer offering the drivers and the other sites I have found are pay sites.

A couple things I am wondering, is my 6800 really dying and where on earth can I find these drivers for the INtel controller?

one more thing, if it's my vid card, i'm screwed, my mobo does not have onboard video.

Do you know what chipset your motherboard uses?

Mine uses the Intel 865G chipset, which also uses the 82801EB SMBus Controller - 24D3 . You should still be able to get drivers if you are using an Intel chipset.

I went into my device properties, and it says there is no driver installed for the SMBus.

First thing I would do is go into your device manager and uninstall the SMBus controller, then right click and have it scan for hardware changes.

Alright, here is what I have found out so far, but I still need help.

I went into safe mode and did a virus scan, I reinstalled the audio drivers and reinstalled the video card drivers, all was well for a day.

Now, it did the same thing again today, my monitor just went blank and my vid drivers were corrupted. I uninstalled the vid card from the system using the device manager and then reinstalled nvidia's latest drivers, that config lasted 5 minutes until I upped the res to 1024Xwhatever, the screen went blank and I had to uninstall the vid drivers again.

Now, I am using the vid card with no drivers and it looks fine except for the slow page scroll time. I have the res set to 1024xwhatever like I have as long as I have had the comp.

How to solve this? No spyware, no adware, no virus', so what is corrupting my drivers? Or is my vid card just dying and can't handle the higher res anymore?

It's an ASUS gamer's edition 6800 v9999 with 256 DDR3, my sister wants me to RMA it, but I want to try to fix it first.

By the way, the chipset for my mobo is Intel 865PE

Hmmm...

It does sound like the vid card's got issues. It seems to crap out when applying hardware acceleration.

Have you tried re-seating it in the AGP/PCIX slot? Can you check what temperature the vid card is running at?

Other than that, the RMA sounds like the best option.

ahhhh! it died. i am trying to take the already dying 5200 out of my backup computer to install it on my main comp, but i don't see where to turn on the onboard video for it, please help. i have been in device manager for a while but i don't see any onboard adapters at all for video.

To enable onboard video, go into your BIOS (usually by hitting F2 or del on bootup)

I'm on my mac, so I can't help too much, but poke around in there and look for the onboard video option, then enable it.

the onboard is automatic and not even listed in the bios, i found out it was automatic by just taking out the card first.

aynway, problem solved, the 6800 is just a dud and will be RMA'd.

(i'm starting to hate ASUS now...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom