Burning of the Flag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chankama

Fully Optimized
So what do u guys think about this guys?.. Supposedly the Senate is trying to pass a bill to make the burning of the US flag illegal..

Good or bad? First you have to ask yourself the question.. Does the administration in power essentially = the United States?..

Well obviously it doesn't.. But, do they "represent" the United States in the eyes of its people AND foreigners..

In the eyes of the foreigners, yes.. But what about its people?

Next thing you know they'll make it illegal to step on a crack on a 75 year old brick sidewalk.

Burning the flag has one purpose: to disrespect what it stands for.

No one burns the flag for heat, or any other useful thing. It has one purpsoe: "Screw You America."

I say You Go Senete, be the first thing they do right in a long time.

Like the article says, there are almost no flag burnings in the u.s. (only one this year), so I doubt an amendment would do anything to help that. Besides, if you burn the american flag you clearly don't have any respect for american laws, either, so knowing that it's unconstitutional, if anything, will drive you forward. I don't think it matters whether it is passed or not imo.

Chankama said:
So what do u guys think about this guys?.. Supposedly the Senate is trying to pass a bill to make the burning of the US flag illegal..

Good or bad? First you have to ask yourself the question.. Does the administration in power essentially = the United States?..

Well obviously it doesn't.. But, do they "represent" the United States in the eyes of its people AND foreigners..

In the eyes of the foreigners, yes.. But what about its people?

Im pretty close to burning an American flag, but I am Canadian.

Hate the goverment that goes and invades stuff, ours just takes money and gets drunk

I think they should do this.....because the only reason flag burning goes on is to make a statement against America. However, there is the free speech aspect of it.

jorsoft03 said:
clearly don't have any respect for american laws,

That's not true man. It doesn't have to be about the laws. If u are not happy with the "direction" the country is taking, then I would imagine you'd be pissed off..

Personally, I don't believe in burning the flag of one's own country for the faults of the administration.. If I was a US citizen, I would never burn the US flag "FOR the faults of the administration".. But I'd be more than happy to burn a picture of Bush :rolleyes:..

But, there could be other reasons that could drive a person to "not" like ones own country.. Doesn't necessarily have to do with the actions taken by the administration..

People in other countries on the other hand, see the country and the administration as one entity. It's all about perception..

In anycase, personally, I think not letting an individual to burn the flag goes against their rights against freedom.. This is different from the "freedom to go out and kill someone" of course..

Is this the first step in the government "forcing" its citizens to love the country?... Should the people HAVE to love the country in order to live in it?.. Should they be asked to leave even if they are in the highest tax bracket and have contributed more to the country financially, than the people that are asking him/her to leave?..

Well, we'll see what happens :)

beedubaya - comeon now burning the flag and free speech have nothing to do in common. Anyone who say's it's their right to burn a flag (American flag)and protects themselves by saying it's free speech is not only a coward but is disrespecting the rest of their "fellow" american citizens by the act itself.

lol, I thought it WAS illegal.......it's basically like if you destroy a mailbox or money......you're destroying government property, and no doubt they will be making the flag under the same circumstances, I think that's completely fine for them to do that......anyone who has a problem with it is obviously a COMMUNIST :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom