Building "new" computer for gaming/video editing, need help!

Victory! Thanks everyone for the responses, I now have all of the things I need to buy bookmarked.

Love you! <3

Final Build! (For the record)

Tower: Google Image Result for http://cdn1.techbargains.com/icache/2009/03/15/00000188.jpeg

Motherboard: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

Hard Drive: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Memory (RAM): Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

Processor: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX

Graphics Card: PNY - GeForce GT 240 512MB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card - VCGGT2405G5XEB (1024mb version)

Sound: On board with Amazon.com: Harman Kardon SoundSticks II Plug and Play Multimedia Speaker System: Electronics speakers.

All with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Back Up items (if things [cough] graphics card [cough] don't plug in!)

Memory (RAM): Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Graphics Card: Newegg.com - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

;) Thank you, ComputerForums! ;)

Here's some stats why not!

Initial Budget: $500

My builds:

First Build (Prior to coming to the forums): $432.00 + shipping (tax already added)

Forum builds:

Second Build (w/o card): $280.34 + shipping (tax already added)

Third Build (w/ card): $410.22 + shipping (tax already added)

Huzzah.

Switch the CPU to an athlon II x4. You'll get much better performance that way. The only difference between its architecture and that of the phenom II is that the Athlon lacks L3 cache. In tests, the L3 cache tends to make a difference of 5-20%, but the athlon will have two extra cores, which is more than enough to make up for that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...871&cm_re=athlon_ii_x4-_-19-103-871-_-Product

Also, AM3 does not support triple channel RAM. Go with 2 or 4 sticks, never 3.

Working from the ground up:

CPU + mobo: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! $162

Memory: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL $50

PSU: Newegg.com - SeaSonic SS-500ET Bronze 500W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies $56

Hard Drive: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $55

+$100 for OS, total comes to $423

Spend whatever you have left on a video card BUT, from reading your posts, you seem hung up on what a lot of people are, which is video memory. A 768MB GTX460 will wipe the floor time and time again with a 1GB 8500GT, even though it has 256MB less video memory. The only reason to ever have larger amounts of video memory is if you are running very, very high resolutions in graphically intensive situations, such as HD gaming at the highest settings on the latest and greatest games, otherwise there is no reason what so ever to spend money on what is a gimmick and a marketing technique.

The build is better as you get a better mobo + CPU, but for cheaper. Your processor has 2 extra cores, so in games, video editing and multitasking, it will perform much better, those 2 extra cores will make a hell of a difference.

You get dual channel, rather than triple channel memory. The memory you picked is for Intel socket 1366 boards whcih supports triple channel memory, rather than every other current socket, which all support triple channel (including AM3, which is the socket you are on with this build)

You upgrade that poor excuse for a power supply for one of a much, much higher quality.

You get a much faster hard drive, the one you picked is designed as a storage drive, not for a main hard drive, which would massively impair boot speeds and load times for all programs.

I would also point out that your case is too small for any of this to go in, as it isn't able to use full ATX components, which all motherboards posted so far are, and which your 5770 wouldn't fit in.

Newegg.com - NZXT GAMMA Classic Series GAMA-001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Newegg.com - NZXT BETA EVO Classic Series CS-NT-BETA-EVO Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

either of those would be better choices, however I would strongly recommend AGAINST picking a case before posting it, when you get a cheap case, there is a reason for it, usually poor layout, poor cable management, small size and low quality materials

Oooohkay.

I've done some looking myself and I guess my final build will be mostly new, with the only old things to come over being the Hard drive, and floppy drive (I believe that's the name).

I'll be upgrading to and ATI graphics card, as I've been told it's best for my computer, probably over summer. I don't need a new one ASAP, the only games I play are Starcraft II, Oblivion, and Minecraft (lol minecraft is srs graphics bsns). The only games I'm going to look to upgrade for are TES V: Skyrim, Diablo III, and maybe a shooter in the future. For now I'm not graphics hungry in games.

In video editing I already do fine with my Inspiron's original components, my PNY graphics card, and 1tb hard drive for Sony Vegas and Dragon Stop Motion. And virtual DJ when I'm feeling funky >.>

In all, the computer I have built here (with a lot of help) I've looked over and tried to understand.

So, here we go.

Hardware

Tower: Newegg.com - NZXT GAMMA Classic Series GAMA-001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (thanks to Aastii)

Processor+Mobo: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! (thanks to Aastii)

RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL (thanks to Foothead)

PSU: Newegg.com - SeaSonic SS-500ET Bronze 500W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies (thanks to Aastii)

Hard Drive: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (thanks to Aastii)

Graphics Card: PNY TECHNOLOGIES GeForce GT 240 1024 MB DDR3 PCIe Graphic Card : Desktop Accessories | Dell (already own)

Software

Windows 7 home premium. (thanks to my friend)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Price: $392.90 + shipping (tax already added)

Thanks to everyone who posted, I'll stick with this build unless someone says otherwise. The price may change because Christmas sales could end.

xoxoxo :p

Back
Top Bottom