Building my website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario Eats BK

Baseband Member
Hey guys,
So I heard from family and friends that I am good with computing and anything with tech. So what I want to do is expand my learning and try to do more things. So if you guys can help me out with starting to build websites and start my little business or anything I can accomplish. My first question is, how does this work, can I build it by a program and not pay any host or do I have to pay a host? What programs do I use to build and put it up to the host? Thanks guys, I would really appreciate it and I hope I will accomplish my goals with your replies.

You will have to most likely buy a program and pay a host. I dont think you want the world to connect to your personal PC just to see your website. So you will have to pay to have the site hosted on a web server. You will have to pay to buy the software to design the site. There is Adobe Dreamweaver and Microsoft Expression that can do this. You could do it with Notepad, but you must know how to code HTML, CSS and everything else to be able to accomplish this. As you will have to design by knowledge alone and not see how it is progressing.

When it comes to hosting there are many to choose from. GoDaddy is a popular one. As is Host Monster. So there are choices in that aspect. But as far as building the page, that is difficult to answer. Cause in reailty you could just build the page in Dreamweaver and then upload it to the host and be good to go. But at the same time doing that might cause for issues as well.

Doing it all in one could be problematic for many reasons. Cause depending on what you want the page to show, you could cause the page to load much slower than wanted. Having everything coded in HTML can cause issues. Add into that the fact that not everything can be done with HTML adds another aspect. CSS is something that should be looked into. Cause that can help out greatly.

But then you have to consider other aspects. Like how would you create the contact forms? How would you present the information? Do you want Flash? Do you want to shy away from flash and go with sliding images? There is so much that goes into a website that there isnt a single answer for your question but there are so many layers. There is so much to consider when you want to build a website.

To top it off you have to consider the browser aspect. The page may look perfect in your browser on your machine. But who is to say that it will look that way in a different browser or in a different OS. You have to then test the page in every browser available and possibly create a page or note to say that the page looks best in a specific browser or that the page is not compaitble with the browser in use.

So as you can see there is much work involved in creating just a simple website. Everything has to be taken into consideration.

Thanks Mak, I appreciate those words, but just in case you don't know me, I'm up for the challenge no matter how hard and time it'll take. I really want to make this happen. I already got the free trial for dreamweaver and I'm trying to play with it and find out what it can do. Before i sign up in a web hosting, I'm going to finish just a simple site for my first one and sign up. I will try on tmr cause here where I'm at is 11:30 and im sleepy, so tmr imma try to work on that

I am not saying your not up for the challenge. I am jsut trying to show what this particular challenge involves. I have done a simple site myself. Even with my limited knowedge of HTML and CSS. I used MS Expressions to help me do it. I even know how to read website code and make adjustments.

I am saying that this will be something that will take time though. It will be a good few months if not longer. Just ask Baez. He did the work on this site. Started it Oct of last year and we just go the skin 3 months later and the work is still going on.

I'll wade in at this point - if you want to make money from the web at the moment there is two options -

1) SEO - a trained monkey can do this and people are realizing this so might not be good in the long term.
2) Server admin, I know god knows how many web designers and developers who can code in Ruby on Rails or PHP most of them are clueless on the basics of server administration, to emphasize this I have recently had a long conversation with a dev who did not have a clue about DNS and the need for redundancy. I make a surprising amount of my income catering to this crowd.

But if you want to get into design, learn HTML and Ruby or PHP if it takes your fancy and learn to use GIMP or Photoshop not just in the half arsed way most do learn how to do it properly and you might make a kick arse dev.

I am not saying your not up for the challenge. I am jsut trying to show what this particular challenge involves. I have done a simple site myself. Even with my limited knowedge of HTML and CSS. I used MS Expressions to help me do it. I even know how to read website code and make adjustments.

I am saying that this will be something that will take time though. It will be a good few months if not longer. Just ask Baez. He did the work on this site. Started it Oct of last year and we just go the skin 3 months later and the work is still going on.

Heh well if need be I can put out a site in 2 days. It's mostly vB that takes time to develop with. But yes, learning to make a professional site takes years of practice and training.

If you make a website for the first time, try learning using professional paid courses. Otherwise your site will look like it was done by an amateur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom