Building my first computer. Need help.

WeThePeople1

Beta member
Power supply - COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Motherboard - ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

1T hard drive. Reconditioned from Fry's.

Video card - XFX HD-467X-DDF2 Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card (Any suggestions on a different card?)

Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Optical drive - Preference?

Operating software - What do y'all prefer?

Case - RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEB 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case

Anything else you guys could recommend would be cool too.

Why the reconditioned hard drive? I like Windows 7 for the OS. 64 bit if you ever plan on upgrading the memory.

I would personally get a new hard drive...the reconditioned drive was sent back for a reason, though sometimes it could be because it came from another PC that was parted out, but you wouldn't be able to know that.

As far as an OS: Windows if you game, or use specific Windows programs, otherwise, install Ubuntu. (that's my rule of thumb). I'm waiting for Ubuntu and Linux in general to get better at supporting the use of Windows executables, though there's still a long way to go. This looks like a gaming machine though, so get Windows (the OEM, not retail)

Active PFC psu's in my experience are built better than non-PFC ones...so you have a pretty sweet PSU picked out.

Everything is looking good...you can skimp on the optical drive;) because they're pretty much the same, just with different brand names imho. And, I'd ditch the stock cooler if the cpu comes with one if you plan on oc'ing it. The Cooler Master Hyper n250 is a solid performer from what I've heard.

Back
Top Bottom