Building my desktop

jaehyukee

Beta member
Hi, I would like to get either AMD x6 1100T Black vs. i5 2500k.
I'm leaning towards AMD just because it is Six-core vs. Quad-core.

Which motherboards, graphic card, cooling, power supply, ram, case, hard drive, etc should I get?

I'm going for the lowest cost with maximum benefit. I want to cap my money around $500~$900. (excluding monitor, mouse, & keyboard) Depending on the benefit of spending more, I'm willing to spend over 1k if I want something extra.:D

I guess for school (im not an art or design major), gaming, and web surfing.
I want to be able to run diablo 3 on full settings when it comes out lol

I also want it to be durable. Hopefully it will last at least five years, maybe even up to a decade?

I would get the core i5 because it is cheaper and still has plenty of power and for the video card look into a Nvidia Geforce 550 Ti- $149 it is the best video card you will ever find for that price and you would probably want a 1 TB hard drive since I would imagine you will be storing lots of pictures and you will want at least four gigs of ram and a at least a 600 watt power supply and also with the power supply you will want to make sure the amps on the 12 volt rails is enough for your video card and most of the time all you have to do is look at the system requirements on the video card and cooling I would just check and see if your cpu that you get comes with a cooler if it does and doesn't look like it will do the job than just browse on newegg.com for one and for the case just find one you will like.

I put together a little AMD system to compare when putting together my gaming pc. Here are the components.

Chip - AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (quad core would be fine and would save a few bucks)
Mobo - MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 770 (has an extra slot for another video card if you want to upgrade in the future. )
Video - Radeon HD 6850 1GB (equal to a 5970 for $190...yes pls)
Power - Thermaltake 600w (if you plan on putting dual video or pluggin a lot of shit in, get a few more watts)
HD - Wester Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB (hitachi, WD...doesn't matter too much. Just get a 64mb cache and 7200rpm)
Ram - Crucial has some Ram for a good price. Get how ever much you need. 4 should be enough, if not, get 8 4GB kit (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 upgrades for MSI (Micro Star) 870-G45 Motherboard, CT1282082 from Crucial.com

Total = $660 (with a case, mouse, keyboard, monitor it should be well within your budget)

All in all - Good processor speed, nice graphics, plenty of hard drive space. This should last a few years, I doubt a decade, but a few for sure.

Here is what I ended up going with.

Intel Core i7 2600K
Asus P8P67 B3 LE
ASUS HD6850 1GB
DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)1600MHz Viper II Sector 5 Series Patriot 9-9-9-24
64GB Samsung SSD
Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5"
Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower ATX USB 3.0
Total = 1200
I was naughty and spent more on a 32" Acer tv/monitor, Razer Imperator and a g110 Logitech Keyboard.

So after buying all that good stuff and Windows 7 64 Ultimate as well...my computer is now worth more than my car.
Total = 1800

Back
Top Bottom