Building computer and static electricity

jrs6494

Baseband Member
I will be putting together two computers this weekend and I was wondering if it is okay to do it on carpet?

The computers will be on a table but I will be standing on carpet. I do have a static wrist strap. So is this okay? Or should I just do it in the kitchen on the linoleum floor? Thanks.

I've never used static wrist straps.

What I do is install the PSU first, then plug it into the mains outlet; no need to switch it on.

Doing this means the whole case is earthed and you will make contact with the case a lot during the build so you will be safely discharged of static. If your building up the motherboard first then build on the same table and touch the case occasionally.

Simples.

Very good point just make sure you touch anything metal and that you are not shuffling your feet around and you will be fine. I have never used anything anti-static but always have been ok while building..

I've never used static wrist straps.

What I do is install the PSU first, then plug it into the mains outlet; no need to switch it on.

good advice, i do the same, ive never used a static strap and I dont think u will need one as well

Back
Top Bottom