Building a PC, need some help please! :)

harleychen

Beta member
Hey guys, so I am pretty new to this forum and I am looking for some advice for a gaming PC that I have been building:

Intel Core i7 3770K Quad Core HT Unlocked Processor Overclocked to 4.2GHZ

Noctua NH-D14 LGA1155/1156/1366/AM3 I7/I5/PHENOM Heatpipe Cooler W/ NF-P14 140MM & NF-P12 120MM Fan

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 SLI 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 DisplayPort USB3.0 Motherboard

[FONT=MS Sans Serif, Verdana, Arial]Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 XMP Dual Channel Memory Kit [/FONT]

ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II Top 1137MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card

Antec Eleven Hundred Performance Gaming Case XL-ATX 3X5.25 2X2.5 6X3.5IN 2XUSB3 INT No PSU

Antec High Current Pro 850W 24PIN ATX12V Active PFC 80 Plus Gold SLI Modular Power Supply 135mm Fan

Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM 3.5IN SATA Internal Hard Drive OEM

LG CH12LS28 12X Blu-Ray Reader & Lightscribe DVD Writer Combo Drive

ASUS Xonar Essence ST 7.1 Channel PCI Sound Card 24BIT Headphone AMP 124DB SNR

This is basically it! hehe, I am quite new to computer building and stuff so please give me lots advice! :D

Thank you guys,
HarleyC

index.jpg

that is the rateing that i got with a 1TB HDD
a 2TB isnt going to be much faster

if your setting up a gameing rig then you want speed
you will want the smallest bottleneck possible

option 1
get a very fast hard drive for the games

option 2
set up a RAID array with fast hard drives

option 3
set up a RAID array with SSD (solid state drives)

something like 120GB for the SSDs would give you about 340GB of Solid State Speed

but other then that its a good build

A hard drive will never get above a 5.9 on WEI, but seagate's new 1TB/platter drives with 64mb cache do challenge the low end ssd's, so i would sudgest getting one of those.

-I would sudgest saving some money and buying an I5 3570k, they're identical besides hyperthreading, and amd hasn't adopted hyperthreading for some obvious reasons...

- you also don't really need that high end sound card, most of them are for audio edditing, but for those ear tuned people, some of them see better quality, i cant tell the difference :p

- you might want to spend the money you saved on a blue ray drive

- other than that, build looks great for a first timer! :)
good luck on it

as apanzerIV said, dont bother with the sound card (the mobo has 7.1 already).

i would look at g-skill ripsaw memory over the kingston. and if its just for gaming and no heavy 3d modelling id go with the I5 3570k over the I7 too.

AMD has what is called HyperTransport
which is basicly the same as HyperThreading

as for the bluray drive
there is only one program that can play a bluray disk
and its now windows or even my favorite VLC
so they kinda suck
they arent worth the expense
no manufacturer wants to pay Sony's ridiculous licensing agreement fees

i still say make a RAID 5 array of SSD for storing your game installs and saves on
and get a SSD for a Boot Disk

your system will be so much faster

AMD has what is called HyperTransport
which is basicly the same as HyperThreading

how? When there is a hyperthreading P4, its a single core but 2 apear in task mgr

when i have an amd 3200, theres only 1?

I thought hypertransport was like a boosted bus speed thing

HyperTransport is not even closely related to HyperThreading.

HyperTransport is the bus architecture on AMD processors.

HyperThreading is Intel's ability to execute more than one thread while using a single CPU core.

HyperTransport is not even closely related to HyperThreading.

HyperTransport is the bus architecture on AMD processors.

HyperThreading is Intel's ability to execute more than one thread while using a single CPU core.

thats what i thought.

i dont think hyperthreading helps much for intel, which is why I recomend the I5 over the I7

on their p4's, yeah, because they were single cores, which is definatly NOT todays technology

Back
Top Bottom